Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Help regarding first Scooter 50cc

Discussion in 'Scooters' started by Anthony84, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Hi there, new member.
    I realise this topic is thrown around a bit, but I was after some advice from some of you Scooter enthusiasts.

I've recently had some financial difficulty (like most people huh) and I have had to sell my car (not for the cash, to get rid of the repayments). I am looking into purchasing a scooter for my girlfriend and I to use to duck around town. I live in New Farm in Brisbane, and I would use it to go to our local shops and possibly into the city for work, which is about 2km and fairly flat.

I really don't think anything bigger than a 50cc is going to be a possibility because of the licencing, plus my girlfriend only has an auto car licence and I don't fancy her trying to learn a manual bike before a manual car. So I guess my question is, from reading some of the posts, 50cc scooters get a real hard time, but is it because they really are that hopeless or is it because people just prefer motorcycles and more power? I stress again I'd only use it to go about 5km at a time maximum and I live pretty much in the city. Is a 50cc going to cut it?

Also, I have a question regarding 2 stroke vs 4 stroke. I've read really conflicting opinions on this and would love any input people could give me regarding my personal situation. I'm mechanically retarded (my gf even more so) and from what I can gather a 2 stroke requires more maintenance and messing around with oil:petrol ratios? However, by all reports they go 'faster'? I've also heard that the 4 stroke will last longer and be a more comfortable (albeit slower) ride? Gotta remember this is for a 23 yr old girl to ride as well, so I really don't think speed is much of an issue compared to the comfort and ease of maintenace/refuelling?

My final consideration is because it's for her to use as well it's gotta, of course, look nice :roll: . She loves the Vespa look and I have noticed an SYM Classic 50 (4 stroke) for what seemed like a good price... I think around $2500 plus on-roads. What sorta figure are we talking for on-roads, and is this scooter of any reputable quality?

I apologise for all the questions, thanks so much in advance for any help.

Anthony - Scooter noob.
  2. Here we go.

50cc is fine for light city work. They tend to be legally restricted to 50-55kph but derestricted it for you is pretty much accepted practice nationwide, *quietly*. They then hit 60kph easily. I would NOT recommend any 50cc if you regularly commute on roads above 60kph. They still go fine with a pillion.

2 strokes are where it's at. Modern ones only require you to top up the 2-stroke oil every 800km or so, and inject/mix it themselves. Easy. 1l of oils usually about $10 odd. They produce more power, at the expense of being a little smokey when cold.

4 stroke 50cc dont bother, it'll lug and be gutless.

$2500 for a classic...sure....but personally I love (and keep spruiking) the TGB range. You can get a new 101s with great ground clearance, decent boot, decent seat for pillions too, with electric/kick start and 3 year parts warranty for $2,300 ish on road, registered, DONE.
    They are however, a bit sporty/rugged. Not exactly feminine. that said, they come with bracing front/rear you can tie luggage onto.

Thats an opinion based on quite a bit of research and forum trolling done about 6 months ago when me and a few mates decided to buy them for a laugh. I have since sold mine to move up to a VTR :p
  3. Liquidity is spot on. DO NOT buy a 4stroke 50. They are a disgrace and all they do is hold up traffic.

Dont worry about 2-strokes, in modern ones, there is no mixing of oil for you to do. Under the seat there are simply two caps, one you put fuel in, the other you pour oil in. The engine mixes the oil/fuel to the correct ratio itself.

All you have to do is make sure the oil tank is always topped up because a 2 stroke doesnt have separate engine oil, so the engine gets all its lubrication from the 2stroke oil/fuel mixture.
  4. Thanks very much guys, great food for thought. I'll let you know how I get on :]
  5. buy a vespa.... their cool.
  6. Don't do it!

Unless you're happy to live in the knowledge that in 18 months time you WILL want a bigger engine, save up and go for a 125 or 150 straight away and save yourself the hassle.

Speaking as someone who learned the hard way - 50cc 2 strokes are fun but only good for flat roads in traffic.

You will either wear out the transmission (i did twice) or get embarrased at holding up traffic on a slight incline - and you'll need to put a sticker on the side that says 'Not fast - just noisy' otherwise every P plater in a toyota corrola will want to race you off the lights and they'll probably win!

Seriously - i had a two stroke and the noise it made was as if it was screaming because it was scared of everything else on the road.

The only 2 goods thing about a 50cc two stroke are that they are really cheap to run, and then that when they do break down they don't weigh too much when you're pushing them home up hill. (I did that 4 times for various reasons too).

Incase you're wondering i upgraded to a mighty 125 recently and it's going well.
  7. Yeah I dont recommend them for commuting through hills, but for the flat blast to work or CBD stuff they are the bomb diggity.

they also love dirtbike trails. I speak with auth-or-i-ta