Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Help please spark plug issue

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by Enrgkid, Sep 22, 2013.

1. Hi all, sorry if this is the wrong thread.

I need some help, I was up the old road today and my spark plug popped out about 150 kms from home. We have come to the conclusion my spark plug hole/ socket whichever you want to call it has no thread meaning I need someone who can do a Helicoil.

Does anyone know of workshops in sydney that would do this and/or have any idea how much it would cost? I know it's not going to me cheap as you need to drop the engine out and take the head off to do this repair.

One disgruntled Enrgkid
  2. Any workshop will do a helicoil.
  3. any idea on cost??
  4. If you are friendly with one, they may do it for free.
  5. I'm friendly with a race boat engineer/mechanic, whose son I ride with, and also a car mechanic, just whether or not either of them have the time, cause I know MY whole engine has to come out :/
  6. It's not as bad as it sounds. Once you get the fairing off there's only a few wiring connectors, a few bolts and a chain to take off. Then you need a friend to help you lift it. It's not SUPER heavy, but is kinda awkward.
  7. You'd be looking for a Timesert rather than a Helicoil. It's a tough environment for a Helicoil, and a Timesert is a better option.

You sure it's stripped and the plug just wasn't tight?

8. Yea we tried to put the plug back in for about an hour. So its stripped. can you elaborate on the difference?
  9. Is it true Timeserts can be fitted without removing the head

10. They're a stronger, solid insert (helicoils are like a wound spring). The procedure for installing them is slightly more involved, and a one-off like yours would best be done by a mechanic.

Link here to some info.

Towards the bottom of the FAQ they mention that plug threads can be installed without removing the head, but I'm not sure I'd want to try it (n)