Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

HELP PLEASE! Primary teachers especially!

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by lil, Jun 6, 2005.

1. I'm helping my little brother with a project based on energy and force. I have no trouble helping him with more advanced ideas on different sorts of energy, but have no idea where to start with pointing him in the right direction for a grade 4 project.

I was thinking of something like sound (fairly topical for me) and it means I can possibly take the bike in to his school (always good for looking cool 8) ) as a support/prop.

Can someone help me out with primary school links to this sort of info???

:D :D :D
  2. http://www.myinternet.com.au/edu/resources/useful_k12.html

start from there and go forth
    thats just a start.
  3. Thankyou!

:D :D :D
  4. For grade 4, I think it'll be very difficult to teach, this is more high school stuff.

If you wanted to use a motorcycle as a prop, you could try talking about the conversion from chemical energy to mechanical and electrical energy (combustion engine and alternator).

Then you could get a battery and a couple of wires, switches and a bulb, show the conversion from chemical to electrical. Then get a small generator, connect the shaft to the crank, and connect it up to the bulb, then show mechanical to electrical.

Okay, scratch the last paragraph, probably too complicated :?
  5. Your little brother is going to get all the babes thanks to you!
  6. You've got to take the bike in as a prop!

Use it to illustrate the conversion of fuel into mechanical energy - a few playground burnouts should do the trick! :LOL:

And your little brother picks up an enormous amount of cred. :)
  7. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

talk the words right out of my mouth :shock: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Cheers 8)
  8. The year 4 curriculum basically says that kids need to be aware that there are different energy states and that energy can be stored, transported and converted. So....

Wheelies show chemical to sound, heat and kinetic energies.

Burnouts show kinetic energy to chemical, heat and sound energies.

Stoppies show kinetic to heat energy. (Be sure to ask for a vounteer to touch the disc!)

Here endth the lesson...th.
  9. If I didn't find it funny I would have given you a negative karma:)
    I may be on long service leave but still keep in touch with what's going on.
    If anyone else wants any resources or whatever for their kids lemme know.