Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Help please! Possible short circuit. Brake lights, turn signals, instrument cluster not working.

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Andrew Tse, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Hi everyone!!

I have a 2008 GSXR 600.

I tried to splice into the license plate lights wires and connected my new LED license light. There was a small spark at the point of connection and there was also a pop somewhere on the bike. At the time, the ignition was in the ON position, but the engine wasn't running.

Now the instrument panel (gauges), turn signals, brake lights won't work. I can't manage to start the engine either. When press the starter switch, I can hear something clicking near the battery. I also can hear the fuel pump working when I turn ignition ON and gear into neutral.

The headlights, both low and high beam work.

I have no idea what could be wrong. I'm a complete noob.
    Is it a blown fuse? A blown relay?

It wouldn't be the ECM would it? I'm really scared it is and it'll cost heaps to replace.

Could you guys please help me!!

Thanks heaps!

2. T'is bad practice to play with electrics when the battery is connected.. it'd be like changing wiring in your house without turning off the mains at the panel.. never a good outcome..

Check everything you mentioned above, and also grab yourself a multimeter and check the voltage at the battery and throughout the bike.. you should find where the power stops flowing.. I think if the battery is less that 9v you won't get enough juice to start the bike or power the cluster.. I'm not an electrician, but low battery charge could be the cause..

Good luck with your investigations..
  3. Checked Fuses ?
  4. If you had the ignition on while you were working on the bike, you've likely drained the battery.
    The click you hear when pushing the start button is the solenoid. If you hear the click, but the motor does not turn, the battery probably has too little voltage.
    You will need to charge the battery, jump start or because you have some power, you can clutch start it.

The pop noise was most likely a fuse blowing, make sure that you remove the splice that caused the pop, then check each fuse. Make sure the bike is off when working on it.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Check fuses, and worst case scenario try a bump start
    (I haven't done one of those in years, I'm tired just saying it)

Next time, at the very least , turn ignition off when playing with electrics, even better, disconnect battery
  6. Hi Andrew,

Going from your description, I'd say you've blown a fuse. While your bike is off (ignition = off) disconnect the splice you did on the license plate light as this is what has shorted. Get access to your fuse box located under your seat - not the main fuse as if that had blown you would have no power at all. Check the fuses one by one - you will be able to see which has blown due to a 'break' in the metal/wire within the plastic case. Then replace it with one of the spares - if you don't have any most servos sell them for a couple of bucks, just take the blown one with you to you make sure you buy one that matches. If you're not sure how to access the fuse box refer to your manual, alternatively you can download it here:

Hope this helps!
  7. Thanks heaps guys!!

It turned out to be a fuse and a flat battery.

Next time I'll be less of a noob and disconnect the battery.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. lol... just a thought. are you SURE there isn't still a short? if you didn't drain the battery while working on it witht he ignition on, it's possible that a short will drain it... if it goes down again you'll have to find where it is.
    • Like Like x 1