Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Help please - My boot/storage space is stuck!

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by agile76, Dec 10, 2006.

1. Hi:

I am usually a lurker on these excellent forums and have found them really helpful as a someone who has only been riding for about 1/2 a year.

I have a rather unusual problem that I would appreciate any advice and suggestions on.

My Hyosung GT250 has a very limited storage space underneath the pillion seat which is opened with the key (seperate keyhole near the back). In this space there is a knob to pull which releases the rider's seat. There are fuses and so on that I will need to access in the near future but at the moment I cannot access either of these two spaces.

I needed some storage space to store my helmet and gloves in (I commute to work on the bike) and bought a PacSafe packhttp://www.pac-safe.com/www/index.php?_room=3&_action=detail&id=29 for the back of the bike. It's a great product that is perfect for my needs. The pack comes with a metal cable (4mm thick) that you can secure on to the bike as a security measure against theft.

Well today I put the metal wire in the storage compartment and put the pillion seat back over it. Perfect, or so I thought! When I tried to open the storage space (with the storage pack off and just the wire running into the storage space under the pillion seat) the key turned but the pillion seat would not lift off. The key turns too eaily which makes me think the cable has blocked the key turning mechanism to unlock the lock.

It has been frustrating me all day. In the short term it does not matter. However in weeks or months I will need to acces this area. i really don't want to have to pay BikeBiz hours in labour to fix it for me. I just paid 280 bucks for a 1000km service where all they really did was change the oil and filter, check that the bolts and nuts were tightened and adjusted the clutch cable. I had to get this done so the warranty would be valid.

Thanks for reading thus far and any advice is MUCH appreciated.

Best Regards,
  2. Sorry matey, I'm not familiar with the whoflungs, so not sure.

My cat did a similar thing when something under the seat rattled it's way forward and stopped the mechanism from working. Just perseverance and bit of fiddling, jiggling, swearing etc got it working again.

If the cable has stopped the lock from "latching" then the seat should come off anyway, unless there's something else holding it down?

I'm not calling you silly, but are you turning the key the right way? On the cat, clockwise releases the seat, anti-clockwise opens the helmet hook.
  3. I'm pretty sure I am turning it the right way. It seems it is locked but the key is not unlocking it.

I guess I will try again but it is looking like I will have to take it back to the dealer.

I appreciate the suggestions though.

Kind Regards,
  4. This is a common problem with the 250 Hyosungs. Just about everyone I know with one seems to have had the issue. Take the bike back to the dealer and get it fixed under warranty. :)
  5. Thanks for the advice guys. Amazing what a wealth of knowledge you guys have.

I tried to get the lever with a screw driver (as per the Hyosung forums) but just wasn't able to get to it. ](*,)

It's off to the dealer then. \:D/

See you round and thanks again.

Kind Regards,