Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Help please! Fork seals for gpx.

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by sir_b, Oct 19, 2005.

1. Hi guys, wondering if someone could advise me.

There's a gpx250 I'm thinking of taking a look at but the owner says it needs tyres and fork seals. I know what tyres are worth, but have no clue about the fork seals.

Unless changing them requires special tools, the labor isn't a problem, does anyone have a ballpark figure of how much for the parts?

Thanks guys.
  2. I think about $60 parts. But theres quite a bit of labour involved, you have to pull the whole frount of the bike apart and you do need some special tools to do it properly. :cry:
    You would probably do the steering head bearing at the same time.

One of the more dificult jobs and dangerous if done wrong.
    I would guess its around $300 for the job.

Tyres are about $300 total.
  3. Hmmm, thanks very much jmuzz. One of my clients/friends was a bike mechanic for 15 years (until about a year ago) and I know he has a good whack of special tools left over, but I guess I'll have to discuss it with him (haven't been able to get him on the phone tonight).

Thanks again!
  4. Sweet, thanks Josh. Time/equipment will be the interesting thing to find out....

5. I work for a bike shop in the country and fork seals normaly cost about $150 parts and labour for your average bike.
  6. Would it be much different to do the bearings and seals in a 95' cb250?

Im 95% sure my seals are busted, as my forks have droped about 50mm and there is some liquid left on the forks after I push down and let them back up.

There is also a sucking noise when I push them up and down (like it's sucking air in).

so um.... yea what do I do?