Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

HELP! Permit Test Tomorrow!

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by X, Mar 25, 2008.

1. Well after the first day of my two day course it is sufficient to say I need a little work and, I feel, not enough time to correct it.

One of my biggest problems is that I stall... a lot, like a no0b. I just can't seem to get the rev's and the clutch right.

If you stall before or after your about to do any part of the riding test, you fail, no questions asked, as I'm sure many of you are aware. This is pretty scary.

The written test is also a little daunting.

It's the day begins at 8 45 tomorrow morning and I'm looking for real last minute tips from people who have taking the test in Victoria.

Failure will not stop me from taking it again, just make me more eager to succeed. SO TAKE THAT fcukERS!

Any tips would be EXTREMELY APPRECIATED.

Thanks for your time.
  2. The only suggestion that I could give you is relax and try to enjoy (?) the day. That way, in theory, everything should drop into place.

Good Luck.
  3. I did my test 9 months ago my tips are:

1. Get good night sleep
    2. Bump your rev's up a little to prevent stall, but not too much to make run too fast
    3. Be friendly to the instructor they are more likely to let small errors like missed head check fall by the way side.

4. The clutch will stop slipping and start to grap at the same point, find this point and its easy. (Friction point)
    Just hold the throttle steady, at about 3k, and slowly let the clutch out as little as you can. Find the point it starts to grab, and just hold it, it will slowly pull the bike forward. Now do it faster :D

After the first few times riding I didn't have much of a problem with stalls, I found the bikes they use for the courses are very easy to ride, for a reason.

But yeah, get a good nights sleep, and have a good brekky. If you are hungry, you wont concentrate easily, and it makes it harder.
  5. I only got about 6 hours sleep the night before and was late hence I didn't eat at all :?
  6. First mistake ;)
    I always find its better to not rush, and to do things correctly the first time around, than have to redo them, and spend a lot more time than you 'saved' rushing.
  7. Extremely true.

I've learnt form my mistake... but I don't know about tomorrow still :(
  8. Just get a good start to the day, and the rest will follow.
    Any questions *ask* the instructor, they are pretty damn good at teaching people how do ride(And thats what you are ultimately paying them for :p). :)

Which company are you taking the course with anyway?
  9. HART, the one in Kilsyth, (if your from Melbourne (which you are)))
  10. Yeah, HART are fantastic, I did my P's with them and know 3 or 4 people who did as well(Or other courses, I heard the advanced rider one is pretty good).
    Just ask the instructors, they are generally fantastic and help with any problems. They generally have lots of tricks/techniques to use which will help you to learn how to do something.
  11. When the bike is warmed up you should be able to release the clutch and take off without even using the throttle. Its a good thing to practice when you're having trouble working it out - but you don't have time to practice that.

Like etelmo said, let the clutch out slowly until you feel it grab (the bike tries to move forward on its own) then give it a little more throttle and let the clutch out slowly. After a while you do it without thinking, in the blink of an eye.

A guy I did my Ps test with keep stalling. He kept dropping the clutch (suddenly releasing it) and either the bike would conk out or he'd have enough revs that he'd lift the front wheel slightly. He kept blaming the bike, so I swapped bikes with him - it wasn't the bike.,
    He wouldn't listen, but got a little better as the day went on.

He passed. I can't remember if he stalled or not during the test, but I know he revved the crap out of that poor bike everytime he took off. :grin:

Try to take a few seconds to work the clutch without the throttle like I said before. When you see that the clutch does most of the work for you you don't have to concentrate on two things at once.
  12. Yeah, but it's hard to sneak in a little one on one time with them because they're so busy with the tight time restrictions. But like you said, I am paying them.

I'll be sure to ask them tomorrow.

Thanks for all of the advice so far guys, really.
  13. The other option (Which my brother did :grin: :grin: :grin: ) Is to use a scooter. There is no transmission restriction on a bike license like a car one, so if you use a scooter for the test... feel free to jump on a bike :)
    Kinda like cheating, but eh, It can make it easier if you can't master the clutch control.
  14. Thanks for that man, all this is helping a lot.

I'll be sure to tell you how it all goes... :?

AHAHAH That's awesome, never though about it.

I don't think I can do it though, I'm too stubborn.
  15. Don't you get restricted to only riding scooters?

Just let the clutch out slow and control the movement of the bike with the rear brake rather than adding more throttle/letting clutch out more.

You can ride the clutch like hell, cause its not your own + its a wet clutch system (harder to burn the clutch).

Once you find he friction point (usually clutch 3/4 out and 3000rpm), holding onto the rear brake wait till your getting up to speed before letting it all out.

Good luck.

Clutch - FAST IN ... SLOW OUT (whether shifting up or down) ... that rule applies to the L's permit test, figure the rest out when you start riding.
  16. I'm not from Victoria but a quick search shows that there may indeed be a 'loophole' in the system if the candidate is on a full car license:
    From vicroads site:
    A - automatic transmission
    An automatic transmission restriction will apply if you pass your probationary test in an automatic vehicle. You will be restricted to driving a vehicle with automatic transmission for the duration of your probationary period.

At the end of the probationary period, the A condition will be removed.

The probationary automatic condition may be removed at anytime during the probationary period by passing a driving test in a vehicle with manual transmission.

Permanent A conditions may apply as a requirement due to specific medical reasons.

Type of motorcycle licence that is issued
    The type of motor cycle licence issued to you (Full or Probationary) will depend on the type of licence (if any) that you already hold.

* If you do not already hold a car licence, you will be issued with a probationary motorcycle licence which is valid for three years.
    * If you already have a full car licence, you will be issued with a full motor cycle licence but some restrictions will apply for a minimum of 12 months
    * If you already have a probationary car licence, you will be issued with a probationary motorcycle licence as well. The probationary period will end at the same time as your probationary car licence.

For NSW this is a definite no-no:
    Licence Restrictions for Learners
    Automatic transmission You are restricted to riding an automatic motorcycle
    motorcycles if you completed your pre-learner training course on one.
  17. The Vic rules you linked are to do with bypassing the P plate and going straight onto fulls. (You are still restricted for one year to a smaller bike and no pillions).
    There is no automatic transmission restriction for bike licenses in Victoria currently. This will probably change with LAMs, but not sure.
  18. And 0.00% BAC and the list goes on. The only restriction fully-licensed car drivers don't have to comply with is displaying P-plates, since they've already done that phase of their license. :)

As for the permit course and test.. HART are great. Just relax! :)
  19. Understood that other restrictions, inc bike capacity, pillions and BAC, will apply even though on your full motorbike license in VIC, same applies here in NSW. What I was referring to was the loophole regarding automatic transmission restrictions for bikes in VIC....ie there is none. Unlike NSW where there is.

20. Forgot about that part, I don't drink :p