Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Help on lowering a Husky SMR510 Supermotard

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by Kelvinc, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Hi All,

Supermotards are a lot higher than other bikes and I can just touch half my foot on the ground when I sit on the bike.

This makes me nervous when I stop on uneven roads, hills, etc.

Can anyone give me any tips on lowering the bike? How low can this be lowered? I am looking to lower as much as I can without sacrificing the handling or safety of the bike?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Kind Regards,
  2. You can do alsorts of bodgy stuff like winding off the rear preload on the shock but that stuffs the suspension performance.What I did with my 2005 TE 250 Husky was take it to Terry Hays at Shock Treatment and he lowered it by installing internal spacers by 25mm on both ends,cost me about $400 a couple of years back, the best way to work out how low you want to go is stick a couple of blocks of timber on each side and stand on them.
    You have miles of ground clearance with a motad so you can go down whatever you need to,it will affect how the side stand works so you will probably need to shorten it was well
  3. Terry would be one of the best in the country at what he does. He has done a lot of work for me and his work is brilliant. The man is a magician when it come to forks, shocks and bike set up.
  4. take it to a suspension guy. they should be able to do it.

i wouldn't take more than an inch or so out of the travel. these bikes area already set up to turn quick, so when you lower the front you are reducing your trail (ie, making it more twitchy). lowering the front and rear of the bike will reduce the wheelbase as well.

a good suspension tuner will be able to do all this for you without making the bike unridable.

most of the guys who are riding these things cant touch the ground. but if you just slide your ass across the seat (easy as to do because the seat is so narrow) it doesnt matter how tall the bike is.
  5. that's good enough. you"ll get used to it.
    don't lower it unless you really really have to
  6. Ypu will get used too it man up and grow some balls but if that fails as mentioned above terry hay is the man.
    I work with guys who used to race enduros one of them won the aus titles a few years ago and they swear by terry.
    Mind you they were riding factory bergs with suspension we could only dream of.