Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Help on claim dispute

Discussion in 'Businesses and Service Providers' at netrider.net.au started by golvellius, Nov 1, 2006.

1. Hi There,

So my 2005 1100XX got backed into while parked, lady owned up, swapped information, insurance happy no problems so far and won't affect my rating at all. Right side fairing scratched badly, front mudguard and fairing a couple of scratches, indicator cowling deep scratches, pegs, exhaust, all up over 5K worth of damage.

Bike got assessed by my repairer the same as I wanted it and basically it is stored undercover either in garage or at work, in immaculate condition and is less than 12 months old (bought it new in Dec 05)

Insurance assessor says paint all the bits, but I want them replaced (RHS fairing, mudguard and indicator covers) especially with the care I've taken to make sure the fairing is unmarked.

Now I've never had comphrehensive insurance before but I would have thought that if a bike is in perfect nick, painting damaged fairing wouldn't enough, it's pretty clear to me when a bike had had a repair paint job (opinions welcome).

So how would you recommend telling em to politely stick it and make sure it is replaced and not painted. Do I have a case to be asking that, I was thinking of selling it soon do you think that would help?

I know about the internal dispute resolution but want to see if I can negotiate this away before it gets to that.

thanks,

lewy

2. I've seen some repaired budgie fairings that look immaculate. Ask Keoth (roughcactus), whose bird was a writeoff before Pete at Boss Cycles sorted it.

If you're selling soon and they do the job right, a repair will be fine.

3. Hi lewy,
    Welcome to the NetRider Forum,

First a question,
    Is your bike being repaired by your insurer or the other persons?
    Makes a bit of difference in the amount of leverage you have, and that is not a lot, even if is your insurer not theirs.

I understand the feeling of having kept you bike in top condition,
    and then some dropkick backs into it whilst parked,
    happened to my FireBlade,
    was reversed into by a 4x4, I said
    "what you didn't see the bright yellow honda parked in the space behind yours?"

As far as you being able to tell the insurer that you want the parts replaced and not just repainted,
    I don't like your chances.
    If you read the terms of the insurance contract you will probably find a clause that it is at the "Discretion of the Insurer" as to how the repairs are carried out.
    As far as worrying about the fact them panels are repainted and not replaced,
    new panels (where available) come bare or in base coat and are painted by the repairer in most cases.
    If the repairs are done by a professional repairer,
    and the painting done by a quality spraypainter,
    the chances of anyone picking a good quality repaint are minimal,
    Even if they are a spraypainter themselves.

Cheers
    Chris

4. Double Post second removed.
    Chris

5. Thanks for the replies guys, helps a lot to hear someone else's opinions

>Is your bike being repaired by your insurer or the other persons?

My insurance company sposed to be taking care of it, I think the assessor is from my company as well.

Hmm I guess if they can do a good job these days it won't matter, still gets me going to know it's no longer going to be in top condition, even when fully insured!

Cheers,

lewy