Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

help needed setting up web page

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by countrycruiser V6, Aug 1, 2006.

1. G'day all, Im after some advice on setting up a web page for the riding group I go out with. Don't need anything flash just a place to put the next ride info, contact details, and maybe a few piccies of past rides etc.
    Can anyone recomend a book etc on the topic that will help me. Absolute beginer here with this. i have a my space account with msn (will that do??).
    any help apreciated.

2. Howdy,

The simple web design books should tell you how to make the page and upload it to a server (as long as you have all the details from the provider of that space)... Some hosting providers even provide a WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) online editor, so it even makes it easier for you.

However; A better idea, if you want to go indepth a bit, is a management system where you can have all your details, pictures, and next ride info, but its all being managed by this system, and you need not know anything after the initial setup is done...

But it is all up to cost vs convenience :)
  3. could I set up a hotmail account for the group and use their my web space thats part of msn messenger?
  4. You could create a group or MySpace, but limited to what & how much space you have.

Could also use the webspace provided by your isp, but then again you will limitied to what you can & can not do.

Need to figure out exactly what you want to put up, the look etc then choose your options.
  5. just want to put up a contact detail for anyone interested in joining us and a copy of the ride sheet that the organiser posts me. maybe a few piccies as well of past rides. could someone who knows about this please look at www.zoomshare.com and tell me if it will suffice for what I want. thanks
  6. we have no membership fees etc local businesses donate material to produce ride sheets etc so needs to be a free web page service size of page not important. i just want to advertise our group.
    similar to this /www.users.bigpond.net.au/gvmcc/index.htm
    only with these categories
    1 club info
    2. contacts
    3. next ride info
    4. photos
    want the kiss principle here (keep it simple stupid) :p
  7. A copy of Frontpage would get you started nicely I reckon mate!
  8. If just for providing info etc
    Your isp webspace would do it.

As Loz said, Frontpage or Dreamweaver will get you started. Keep it simple and you should be fine.
  9. Ahh what exactly is front page / dreamweaver???
    I take it they are some sort of programmes, where do I get hold of them?
  10. Ahh please disregard latest question!!! did google search and realised it part of microsoft office. I have that already so just need to learn how to use it.
    Dont mind me, just got out of bed for work and the caffeine aint kicked in yet!!!
    once I get it done how do I get it into cyberspace? does the programme explain that?
  11. Frontpage is microsoft's offering for a wysiwug (what you see is what you get) HTML editor

Dreamweaver is the same thing but is the prefered choice of most web developers and produced by Macromedia/Adobe.

To draw a thin analogy, they are similar to Microsoft Word but are specifically designed to be able to handle all the coding and design of web pages.

Rather than spending the money there are Open source alternatives such as Aptana or you can trial Dreamweaver

But since you are starting out and there will be enough to learn with uploading your webpages and hyperlinking, you might want to think about just using Microsoft Word (sacralidge for a real web developer but it will get you started for now) to stick with something familar. But rather than saving each file as a .doc file save it as a html file.

But creating the page is only the first step, next you need to think about where you will host the page(s) and then how to upload the page to the web server.
  12. Frontpage tutorials will help you through.

The only reason I recommend Frontpage is that it's a bit easier to get your head around than Dreamweaver. It can also do all the uploading for you.