Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

help needed: machine part name ?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by russ, Oct 14, 2006.

  1. hi guys,

    i'm looking to price a part for something I'm buildingbut I can't for the life of me think of the appropriate name for what it is I need.


    here is a real dodgey animation I've whipped up (only 300Kb). The premise is not difficult in fact I would have thought it pretty easy to find butI'm having difficulty.

    basically I'm looking for a system where a bar is connected to a side wall. the connection is rigid but the bar can rotate along a single axis. both sides of the bar will be supported but really a single (connection) is fine

    what the hell is that joint called?
    i've tried rotational joint, swivel joint, rotaty joint, all the 'rotation' realted searches possible but most take me to plumbing sites :/

    any help would be great
  2. a setup like where the crank joins the main bearing in a motor?? i would have thought a rod & 2 bearings...
  3. I couldnt open the file. Is there a chance you could put up a picture or quick sketch?

    From your description i can come up with:
    Universal joint- but it will have movement through two axis

    Gusset maybe?

    Or is it a torsion beam where the axis of rotation is the centroid of the beam?
  4. :beer:
    its that specific word that was important. talk about a brain freeze..

    I owe you one


    this is effectively what i'm after (or a similar setup). finally got a ball park figure for my costing (this is why i needed the specific names!)
    i need a system that I can hang a bit of weight off but with a low torque rating for its rotation
    low torque is paramount otherwise my servo (controlling the rotation) is gonna get expensive
  5. the pressure was all mine :LOL:

    my brain freezes most days, glad to help :cool:
  6. yeh thats pretty much exactly what I'm after, but at the moment I'm not sure what size & type, this is all still in the design phase. (for a specialised tilt and pan system on the cheap - though still damn expensive)
  7. well let me know, i'll run it through works account and save you a few $$$ if that helps.