Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Help needed: Iconic Philip Island moment.

Discussion in 'Racing, Motorsports, and Track Days' started by VFR750 IRYDE, Nov 27, 2008.

1. G'day all.

One of my earliest memories of motorsport was a 500cc race a PI, Wayne Gardner and Mick Doohan were racing.

For brief moments they were 1-2, but Gardner had the fairing hanging off the side of his bike and fell off the pace, I think Doohan came through and won.

Anyone know what year that would be?

I'd love to see it again as I suspect that the extraordinary ride from Gardner with a damaged bike is what first stirred my love of two wheels.

2. It was 1990. Gardner won.
  3. Thanks MV. Found it on youtube but it's narrated in Italian!

Anyone know where I can find a video of it?
  4. It's available on dvd, from duke marketing. If you can't find it, I can burn it for you, but it will cost you beer.
  5. Do you make the thursday night rides from time to time? I'm far from regular but I'd be happy to join in next week (work permitting) and buy you a beer afterwards...
  6. There's a few torrents and eMule/donkey files around but they seem to be dead.

PS there are a few 500cc torrents here (clicky). It's where I get all my F1 torrents.
  7. Joy and happiness will come your way.
  8. When I read the title of this thread, i thought it may refer to Donna Gardner running onto the track at the end of he race, can of coke in her hand to hug Wayne whilst he was still on the bike, or Donna jumping on the podium with the 3 winners yelling "We won We won" or Donna in the celebrity Scooter race , cheating and crossing through the middle of the track so she could win. :LOL:
  9. :LOL: It's hard to decide which is the most enduring memory; Mick and Wayne banging fairings or Donna running down the track. Both are already probably in the late night at the pub "I was there and saw it, sonny" category.
  10. Why is Donna memorable?
  11. what she DID was....
  12. She's excitable. Wonder where she is now.
  13. Ah, yes, I've seen that in the shops, should have remembered....

The pressure of life at the top places huge stresses on marriages and relationships, doesn't it?
  14. I read her book, called Leatherz. It was Chick-lit Crapola.
    Still, she is a published author, and I'm not.
  15. So then Mr MVrog, I've checked my roster and I'm NOT working night shift on Thursday soooo...

I'll buy you a beer this Thursday night...

(I'm looking forward to watching the race again, but I hope I'm not setting my hopes up too high..?)
  16. You're not, it was a cracker, as were most races in which young Mr Gardner was involved, from his very first....

17. I'm a rotating shiftworker, VFR, so don't expect me to be available in the evenings. I will be able to work out a way of getting a copy to you. That may be the best I can do.
  18. No worries MV, I know what thats like! :(

I'll pm you to figure it out.