Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Help needed for mods to Yamaha TRX850

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by mishalee, Sep 10, 2007.

1. I want to put higher bars on the TRX. Can anyone suggest how I start this project... Doe's anyone know if it's been done before.
    I have just got a jet kit for it and yet to go on dyno and be installed... anyone have any other tips enhance the black beauty.
    My husband will not let me buy a new bike and going to QLD next year, so want to make it more tourer friendly. Plus I love the bike and cant find anything like it in the new market... VTR is pretty much the same.
    Any tips I would appreciate...

2. Lovely bike, I have a friend with one. He has taken off (alright, crashed off) the fairing, and handlebars were replaced with dirtbike style handlebars. Look at www.austreetfighter.com for this sort of thing. Or you could look for Heli bars distributed by Mick Hone's motorcycles in Box Hill (Melbourne).

You may need to get longer brake hoses and throttle/clutch cables if you go a lot higher, and maybe even extend the electrical wires to the switches.
  3. The big problem as it is with most newer bikes is that the top triple clamp has nowhere to mount a higher oldschool bar. As such you'd need to find a suitable donor, or get a machine shop to make the appropriate modifications to yours. But, the risers will probably be at least 30mm on their own , even with a flat bar.

Streetfightering TRX's seems a popular hobby in europe but most normally are done because they've had a big prang and have the whole front end replaced.

You may find that getting higher bars and keeping the fairing will be difficult. Turn your steering from left to right and see how much clearance you have on full lock from your throttle assembly to the screen, because I think you will find it's much less than you expect. On my trx it's less than a centimetre.

If all you can gain is about 8mm in height then it doesnt seem worthwhile IMHO, and for touring you wont want to lose the screen.
  4. Thank you all for the info.. looks like I have a little more work to do.. I would love the streetfighter look, but do a lot of touring so I guess i'll have to do more homework..
    I really dontwant another bike... this one's great.
  5. Well, if you want you can run a screen with high bars, like the monster S4 or Z1000 style.

But you need to assess how much modding is involved for the benefit.

If you're really after TRX motor style but high bars and touring Yamaha already make the TDM.....
  6. I have thought long and hard about doing a high bar conversion myself. There are two kits for sale on ebay at the moment in the international sellers. Both of them shipping from Germany.

One of the kits shows a high bar conversion with the fairing altered. It doesn't look to bewdiful IMHO but probably the way to go if you are going to be touring on the TRX

The other kit has the streetfighter style headlight and doesn't use the standard TRX item at all.
    I have a streetfighter kit that I have just fitted and believe me if you are going to be doing more than 100 kays an hour for any length of time you are going to cop a hiding.