Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Help needed cleaning crashed engine yamaha trx 850

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by matttrx, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Hi all,

Just joined up here. I crashed my bike recently and scraped a hole through the oil pump cover letting in metal, some water and dirt. I need to know how to clean it out properly before replacing the cover and starting the engine. I've been told to remove the sump cover and have good look inside etc and was hoping there is a way to flush out the engine or at least the oil pump housing, clean out the sump and move on. Right now the oil pump cover and oil filter and cover are off and the oil is drained. It appears as though I could flush the oil pump housing out with a cleaner, ( is petrol ok)? and debris and cleaner would pass down through the hole where the oil filter is supposed to be, (currently removed) and into a drip pan.

Q1. I don't know if this is sufficient and
    Q2. I don't know if the section of the engine I wish to drain is sealed off enough from the rest of the engine for me to do this and whether this matters or not anyway.

Any help greatly appreciated so that I can get back on the road and off to the California Superbike School! :)