Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Help: need new brighter globes for my zx2r

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by GForce, Jan 25, 2006.

1. hi guys, i need new brighter white globes for my zx2r and i have heard a few scary stories that some globes can stuff up our bikes. the bike originals are 60/35w. what brand and type of globes should i get that would safe of the bike?

i was looking at ones that were input of 100/90w and output of 160/150w made from narva. is it safe? if not can you plz recommend me ones that you use on ur bikes. btw its h4 bulb.

cheers

2. I've got an fzr250 and it has 60/55w globes in, if I let it idle for a while it will drain the battery, so I don't think 250's are able to take high wattage globes...

3. Fairly sure that ADR requirements are that low-beam be no more than 55W so fitting 160/150w globes will make your bike unroadworthy, and could also potentially melt the headlight housing. Using the best quality globes of the wattage for which the reflector is designed for will usually give far better results. Personally I use Xenon filled H4 globes (quality ones, not the dodgy cheapos on eBay) and find the bluish-white tint to the light really improves visibility (certainly makes road linemarking stand out).
    Edit: Just checked and the globe I'm using is a German brand - Trifa. Oh and it's worth checking the "junk tables" at some of the auto stores - often they have twin-packs for cars with one globe missing which they sell cheap.

4. jd can i ask what are the specs of the xenon bulbs you have. are they super white or are the the plasma blue? also how much did u get them for

anyone uses phillips h4?

5. Globe I'm using is just the standard 55/60W in "xenon blue". Can't remember exactly how much it cost me, bought it from Supercheap Auto so don't think it was all that expensive (though it was the most expensive one they had) - probably 10-15 bucks perhaps.

6. ive seen a few 60/55w around and i want to put them on my bike but does it drain the battery quickly?
    how does it affect performance?

7. It does drain the battery, but as long as the bike isn't idling and reving it should be good

8. 60/35W is the standard for Japan, Australian standard is 60/55W (we have less cities/street lighting so have a higher wattage lowbeam). All grey imports (should) have their globe replaced with a 60/55W for ADR compliance - theoretically this means you do lose 0.02kw of power, realistically there won't be any difference in performance. The alternator should also be able to keep up since it would have been designed to cope with the globe on high beam (ie 60w).

9. thanks alot jd. ill get the 60/55w then. feel alot better knowing other riders have used such globes.

10. Check out the scan of the review in this post

11. That first article's all about HID globes though (2nd one no longer works) - and doesn't point out that retrofitting a true HID system to a bike would likely cost hundreds of dollars (usually $2~3,000 option on cars). Could also render the bike unroadworthy. Also doesn't point out that HID globes can't be "dipped" so either two need to be used of different wattages/light patterns or a complex mechanical masking system needs to be employed (like in the 911 Porsche).

12. Allow me to reiterate

Check out the scan of the review in this post

13. Right, my mistake (though I stand by my comments about that article you posted a link to :p). Curious to know what testing they used (ie scientific measurement or just "by eye") especially given that the brand that made the no.1 H4 globe also made the two worst (actually similar scenario with the H7 globes).

14. you are probably an h4 globe go for the opti blue great at night time see the whole road, I had problems as mine are h7 couldn't get it in opti blue which looks real nice so decide on another option artic nice but look more greeney but still see the road a whole heap better at night then just the normal globes. Prices range a lot I found the phillips most expensive. Very easy to put in yourself just don't touch the glass.

15. Yep, good point that. If you do happen to touch the glass use a bit of metho to clean the globe then try again (this time without touching the glass).

16. Many jap cars and bikes use the H7 fitting, including my VFR800 which came whith twin 45/45watters.
    Aftermarket H7 globes tend to be dearer than H7, so many on the ozVFR forum simplly buy 60/55 (or better still the +30 versions) , cut off the two small tangs on either side of the larger locating tang and fit them. Works fine.

Another thing to remember is that blue light globes actually put out less light than the same spec standard globe because the blue tinting in the glass absorbs some of the light. It does however give the apearance of a whiter light which arguably can either improve or deteriorate the lights effectiveness. After trying both (I go through a set of headlight globes every 4 months or so (700km/week) i'm no longer a fan of the blue ones, especially in the wet and on foggy mornings.