Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Help me stop myself! (ZX9R Brake issues)

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by DenholmReynholm, Mar 16, 2013.

1. How's it garn NR?

So one of my zxNEIN's front brakes is leaking fluid from between the caliper halves, which leads me to suspect that one of the seals inside has gone (I found the leak whilst holding the brake lever on, it slowly came back and eventually touched the bar).

This places me in a quandary, I can either buy one of these kits (http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/kawasak...cture/rebuild_kit_full_seals_caliper_-_front/) for around $100 depending on exchange rates at the time and split the calipers (may as well do both of them) and overhaul them, or there is another option...The 4 pot nissin calipers off a GSXR 600 SRAD are a straight swap and, from what I've read, significantly improve braking performance, there are a couple on ebay for around $50, but from the US so would cost roughly the same as the seal kit for the standard 6 pot tokicos.

So my question is twofold I guess, firstly would you change the calipers? Or would it make more sense to service them and maybe look at braided lines if they still provide less than expected performance?

And secondly, where do you all go to get your various bits for the bike, I know there is ebay but is there any other way to find secondhand parts in Australia? (I don't believe you can still buy these calipers new so would have to be from an old SRAD) Unfortunately North QLD is not reknowned for it's availability of bike parts :(

Of course option number 3 would be to take it to a mechanic and say "please fix my leaky brakes" but I suspect that would be significantly more expensive than just doing it either way by myself.
  2. Shouldnt be too hard to knock out a seal kit replacement in an hour or two. Grab a mate to bleed the system after, youll thank me. You will be surprised by how much of a difference new fluid will make. While apart replace the pads too. Well worth the extra $. Dont forget some fine emery tape, just incase the pistons have some rust spots, lightly scuff it off (v.v lightly). Finally ebay is okay but you get what you pay for, sure the new calipers may be good, they may also need a seal kit, then you are in the same situation you are now. Remember ebay sellers do not always tell the full truth :eek:
    • Like Like x 1
  3. That's what I was leaning towards ref: eBay, I've got some spare pads in the toolbox, so will just need to get some more fluid, emery tape and some red rubber grease + the seal kit I guess, thanks!
  4. PBR green rubber grease works so much better and is better at dealing with temps
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Update on this if anyone is interested for their own reference, I ordered a set of seals (all front caliper seals) from wemoto in the UK. While they haven't arrived I figured I'd get started on the removal and cleaning.

I do have photos which I can upload if anyone's interested, but since the left caliper was leaking I started on that one. Removed the brake pads (they need replacing so will do that at the same time), and went to take off the two caliper mounting bolts, surprise surprise one is rounded and wont come off with a socket.

Decided to crack the four caliper bolts and take off the brake line (this was a mistake, more on that later) and set about getting the mounting bolts off.

Initially I thought I could resize them to the next bolt size with a file. This failed miserably, and so I went to bunnings and got some of these

Cost me $46, worth every penny. Only issue was the bolt I'd attempted to resize, which took some more filing and wd40 to get out, another rounded bolt on the right hand caliper came out effortlessly.

Once the caliper was off I split the halves, and this is where I realised my mistake, as all 6 pistons are firmly lodged in their holes, and since I don't want to damage them with pliers I'm going to try and borrow compressed air when I get a chance, connect it to the brake line hole and take couple precautions, and hopefully that will push them out nicely for me :)
  6. I've dealt with Wemoto before and have found them quite good. Service is excellent. I'll deal with them again.
    If you get used calipers from ebay they might need work done to them anyway.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Yeah, I figure I'll try my best to overhaul the current ones, they don't actually look too bad, and if the pistons seem dodgy wemoto also has more pistons I can order, so worst case I'll pull them out with pliers and put 6 new ones in. I'm expecting big things from these calipers haha :D