Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Help me pick a bike - also CBF250 on a freeway?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by WillSV, Dec 6, 2008.

1. Wondering if I could get some personalized advice now that I have spent some time using the search function and reading the forums.

I have 5k to spend on a bike. I just got my learners and know nothing at all about bikes and want to avoid getting screwed where possible.

I am 6'0 and 80 odd kg, I just want any bike that can help me learn and may eventually be used to commute. As such I want something that is easy/comfortable to learn on and will allow me to eventually travel on the freeways at 100km/hour.

I am tossing up between a new CBF 250 or a used GPX 250.

My issues/questions are:

I can buy a CBF250 brand new for 5k, but can it handle freeway speeds? I have heard the top speed is around 120... so that means yes I can travel on the freeway or no thats too much stress?

I like the idea of getting a new bike because I really feel unconfident about picking a used bike that isn't dodgy. I have read the 26 page guide on 'what to look for' in a used bike thread and that just confuses the hell out of me, so much stuff seems to need to be checked out. Feel like I am at school trying to remember all that stuff. And I don't really know anyone that knows bikes to bring with me, so kinda tough.

If I went used, I think the GPX250 is a good choice (is it?), but am open to other suggestions....

Anyone with any advice on how to go about this?
  2. $4k would get you a real good GPX second hand. $150ish for a professional inspection or $20 on lunch and a beer if you want a friendly local netrider to inspect it for you.

I honestly think that the GPX would be a far better choice if you're planning on doing any freeway/highway work, as it has about 30% more power (22HP Vs 32Hp - off top my head).

Also due to the GPX being so common parts are easy to come by, not always the case with a CBF, despite it being a Honda.
  3. Forget the CBF (CBF = Can't be fcuked), go for the GPX. Even better get yourself a second hand VTR.
  4. I had a Yamaha Scorpio for a year. Really, really basic transport but super cheap to run. Never had any trouble from it. Will do freeway speeds but wouldn't like to do it for hours. My mate dropped it in a gravel carpark once resulting in a scratch on the pipe, a scratch on the handlebar end and a bent front brake lever. Chrome seemed a little prone to rust.
    Sometimes they're on special for $3990 on the road. I wrote a review on it at the time which you could find with 'search'.
  5. Out of those 2, the GPX for sure. Otherwise, look around for a good VTR250. That's the best learner bike going around IMO.
  6. There's nothing wrong with the CBF250, and it will handle being run at 100-110 for hours on end. It's a tough little bastard, based on Honda's trail-bike engine (DOHC instead of SOHC), with excellent economy. The GPX is a bit smoother, more powerful and many used ones will have been worked hard. If you're buying used the CBF will be cheaper, if comparing same year and kms, so choose wisely if you opt for an older GPX to get the price down. Both will help you learn to ride well.
  7. Between those two, definitely the GPX. I've ridden one. Its a simple no-frills v-twin with great economy and exceptional fuel range. The limited fairing is useful in highway trips, and parts will be widely available.

CBF250 is pretty anemic on power and the engine won't be that smooth.
  8. From a current Cbf250 owner I bought mine second hand and would probably do so again. I would not buy one new as you will lose money.

It will handle freeway speeds but you won't be able to pass people quickly. Fuel economy is great I can get around 350km before having to switch to reserve.

Nice upright position but again, like all 250's not comfortable over extended periods.

Saying all this, I bought it as I was completely new to bikes. Now with 8 months still to go on my P's I can't wait to get rid of it (but I guess this is true for everyone).

If you have any more questions about running costs feel free to PM me.
  9. The GPX isn't a Vtwin, its a paralell twin. :wink:

To be fair to the CBF it has a comfy seating position, but thats about the only redeemable feature I found on it.

When it comes to freeway riding every little bit of power helps. Sometimes you need to accelerate to get out of trouble. Thats why I have suggested the GPX/VTR over the CBF.

The VTR being a naked it will be cheaper to fix when you stack it.
  10. Since you mentioned the word 'freeway', the answer is GPX without question.

I own a ZZR250, which is essentially a GPX with a bigger fairing, and exactly the same drivetrain. I bought the ZZR because I specifically wanted a motorbike which would sit on 110kph indicated, without making an enormous racket, providing a decent level of wind protection, and retaining enough power to overtake someone sitting on the limit.

The bike is easy to learn on, evidenced by the fact that I rode it 80km home immediately after buying it, with no prior motorbiking experience other than a few hours during a pre-learners and learners course on a CB250. The handling and power delivery is sedate when you want it to be, and sharp when you learn to exploit it.

Mechanically, the bike could survive a nuclear holocaust. The only catch is that if you drop it, and you probably will, you will risk breaking either the left or right plastic fairing covering the internals. Fairings are expensive to replace. I dropped by bike coming to a standstill once, the fairing held together, but the paintwork was damaged.

Good luck with your decision mate. :wink:
  11. Sounds like GPX250 is the winner.... just got to work out how to go about buying a used bike.

That sounds really useful... how would I go about setting that up? :?

I have been looking at prices on bikepoint etc... and there is one for sale on netrider that is priced as good as any:

(I am not allowed to post links yet, I assume posting a netrider link is okay though).

Does anyone know this member/can vouch for him? How would I go about inspecting it with someone?
  12. are you in a LAMS state?
    if so, check out some bigger bikes - a very large selection to pick from.
  13. I am in Melbourne, I am nervous enough about a 250 I dont really want a bigger bike.
  14. seriously mate, I would go a lams bike over either. Especially if your mentioning words like comfort and freeways.
  15. I am confused here. What do you mean a lams bike? I am in Victoria and I am a learner, by definition therefore I have to ride a lams bike don't I? Aren't both the GPX and CBF lams bikes? Not quite sure I understand.
  16. something bigger, more comfortable to ride. You have a great amount of options rather than just a cbf or gpx. A larger bike should be much better on the freeway aswell.

Bike List here
  17. You are correct, they all come under the LAMS banner.
  18. I'm not sure what you're going to get 250cc + that will do the above well for under $5k. Perhaps those suggesting a larger bike could provide examples?