Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Help me identify a bike I saw

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by darklightBoy, Nov 1, 2007.

1. I saw *something* as I was taking the bus into town yesterday evening, I only caught a flash of it as it went past but it was:

- red
    - naked
    - transverse V-twin.

from the brief glimpse I got it was HAWT! Can anyone tell me what I saw?
  2. Only transverse V twin out there is Moto Guzzi, and only "HAWT" Moto Guzzi currently in the range (IMHO) is the Griso. It's a naked and it comes in red :) .
  3. A red version of this Guzzi?

4. It would almost have to be a Guzzi of some type, it could however be a V11 naked, a griso, a breva, a 1200 sport or an earlier model.
  5. That would be longitudinal wouldn't it? Transverse is E-W
  6. A Guzzi is a transverse V-Twin, a ducati is a longitudinal V-Twin.

It goes by the direction of the cylinders not the crank.

*edit* There is at least one other variety of bike out there with transverse V-Twins although they aren't sporty.

Honda made the CX500 and CX650 V-Twins some years back.
  7. We prefer to call the Ducati an L-Twin.... but we are mostly wankers :wink:
  8. quote of the year!! :rofl:
  9. nope. what about the CX500-650 from '84-ish?

not sure HAWT is an accurate description tho :LOL:

10. Never understood the L twin thing just because it's 90 degrees doesn't stop it being a V, The commodore engine's 90 degree no one calls that an L8
  11. L in my oppinion make more sense because a proper L has a 90 degree angle on it where as V is more like 45 degree. So it is logical that the 45's be called V's and the 90's L's, although thats not always the case.
  12. Thanks for that folks, that Guzzi does look pretty much like what I can remember...

So on that topic, what makes the transverse v-twin so different to a normal? Does it ride differently?
  13. Nup, but it does pump sewerage far more efficiently.

(I'm a wanker, and so is my wife)
  14. Pfftt... Guzzi's are ditch pumps not sewerage pumps!

And besides... Ducati owners generate lots more shit than us Guzzi owners :p
  15. Most V-Twins are less than 90 degrees in angle and require extra balancing comonents or rubber mounting in order to reduce the added vibration.

Whereas a 90 degree V-Twin has perfect primary balance (although not perfect secondary balance).

The main advantage of a transverse v-twin (like a Guzzi) is that the 90 degree angle can be maintained without adversely impacting upon the length of the wheelbase or tilting the motor (both of which effect the weight distribution).

Have a close look at this picture and you'll see how far forward the Ducati cylinder is and how the cylinder is close to the front wheel. Ducati have rotated the V (into an L as SSMack says) to avoid the rear cyinder getting in the way of the suspension components).

None of this means that a company can't get a 90 degree V-Twin lengthways into a frame, it just means that it requires more complicated engineering (which means more $).

16. The way the bike vibrates is a bit "rougher" than longitudinal, but not a huge difference. At rest the bike will also "twitch" sideways when you rev it. Again, hard to notice when riding.
  17. Shaft drives also need less maintanance. My old biology teacher swore by them (he got me into riding).