Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Help me get my mojo back!

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' at netrider.net.au started by cornflakes, Nov 24, 2011.

1. G'day guys,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Thought I'd start a thread to introduce myself. 26 male from Sydney, been riding for a few years now.

Currently on an '05 Kawasaki ZX6R...

Now, I have a situation to explain to you guys and wanted to see what tips you veteran bikers have for me.

A while ago I had a low speed lowside...I was taking a sharp right hand turn in the CBD, a little bit faster than normal but nothing stupid. I've taken turns this fast before without trouble. As I went through the turn I felt the rear slide and next thing I know I was on my ass. Only slid about 2-3 metres as I wasn't going fast. I blame it on cold tyres and white painted road markings.

But anyway, ever since this little incident, twisties have never been the same for me. I used to be able to go through them with a lot of confidence and never had a problem. I now feel as though I'm afraid to lean the bike too far, and whenever I feel like I've leaned over too much I end up closing the throttle a bit which in turn leads to an unstable bike midway through the turn.

Now I know I'm not leaning that far over as the chicken strips on my Pilot Powers are about an inch thick! That's right!

Just wanted to see if this has happened to any of you fellas after a fall and how you got your mojo/confidence back. I know it's all a mental thing and all in my head, but I'm finding it really hard to really lean the bike over these days! :(

Tips? Suggestions? 8-[

2. Know someone who's had a fall, a very low speed drop.
    It can certainly affect one's confidence levels mate. Same person also fell off a rogue horse that was clearly trying to kill him - I was there watching.
    Remedy ? He got straight back on another horse (one which wasn't trying to kill him !) and continued on.
    Best thing you can do is try and analyse what you feel you may have done 'wrong', but get back on the thing !
    With time, your confidence level will return, just as it did to the above referred person.
    Try and grab a friend, riding mentor etc and have him analyse your riding from behind. Perhaps, even ask him to record you on a typical ride using a GoPro cam etc. This does wonders as a training/ongoing self-improvement tool.

In your case, you may have been unlucky and hit a grease/oil patch ? Cold tyres as you also said ? With chicken strips the amount you have mentioned (absolutely nothing wrong with that, mate !) it doesn't seem like you were doing anything silly...though, did you bank that much (due speed) that you embarked in an area of 'unscrubbed' tyre ?

You'll be fine mate.
    Grab the bull by the horns ! Slow, easy steps again..but you'll be fine.

(y)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Yeah will be hitting the twisties again when the weather here in Sydney becomes dry again. It's like monsoon season here at the moment.

You're right about jumping back on the horse. I think I really just need to lean it in (reasonably) and clench my buttcheeks.

But the fall was on a different bike and different tyre (which had been scrubbed in before), so definitely not a fall from a patch of unscrubbed tyre.

Literally travelled about 100m down the street from my parking spot, so tyres were cold for sure.

4. Known phenomenon, buddy..and you're aware of it. Lesson learned right there.
    One for us all to remember.
    Welcome to Netrider (y)

5. I'm never quite convinced by this sort of claim and its siblings (oil patches, manhole covers), as I ride every day too - which means all conditions, on constantly cold tyres, through idiotic inner-city traffic and I never experience this. Perhaps it was some issue of technique combined with this:
    Still, I wasn't there so I can't judge.

But in answer to you question, I wonder whether something like watching and reading Twist of the Wrist II might help. It'll get you interested in practicing good technique and that will distract you from the fear (it's common sense in psychology these days that disturbing thoughts and feelings are best dealt with, not by combating them head on, but by mindfully accepting them and then focusing on something else, preferably the healthy version of that which is currently riddled with disturbance), while implicitly challenging the pattern of the fear itself.

Then again we all have our risk thresh-holds. For many people on here it seems to be higher than mine. Maybe yours shifted a bit when you came off and, despite the mildness of it, something deep inside you had an existential moment and decided to recalibrate your risk-taking boundaries when rolling the dice in future? If on reflection you disagree with those new more limited boundaries however, as you appear to do so in this post, then return to the above paragraph.

6. Cold tyres can do it. I've had a drop, and a couple of huge moments from tyres that were a bit worn and cold.

A stack will dent your confidence a bit. That happens. Take your time. Get back on the things straight away, but don't try and push past the point where you feel unsafe. Work up to things in tiny little steps.

Sometimes a stack is an act of Dog - sometimes it's aunty Natures way way of saying "Slow down ya f*ggen moron!" There's usually a lesson or two, just make sure they're the right ones.

What was the thing Bilbo said? "It's a dangerous business going out your front gate, Frodo. The road picks you up and takes you away..."

7. Welcome to Netrider, Cornflakes.

Riding with others helped me alot after my off's. Most recently I had a moment with a rock wall which freaked me out a whole lot and put me off riding for abit. I hooked in with a few more experianced guys, tackled some really nice roads and my confidence in my ability and the bike eventually came back.

8. Welcome to NR :). Sorry to hear about your off, but, glad it was a minor one. I certainly don't presume to instruct you, especially where others more experienced than I have already given advice, but for ME, if I'm on a ride and I'm feeling less than ideal in the twisties, I like to ensure that I begin by concentrating on my entry speed. I'll start off ensuring that I'm coming in at a nice easy pace, and will power out of the corner a bit more. As I go through a few of them, I naturally start to increase my speed again. $0.02.