Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Help me choose

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by powinc, Oct 8, 2014.

1. I'm not going to do much off road stuff and when I do, it will be just unsealed roads.

So I'm tossing up between the V-strom 650 ABS or the Tiger 800ABS.

Is the Tiger worth the extra money and will it cost more to service?
  2. I haven't ridden the Vstrom 650 but I have ridden the Vstrom 1000 and the Tiger 800XC.

And I'd say the Tiger is definitely worth the extra money. But then again I haven't ridden the 650 Vstrom, but I have ridden the 1000 vstrom and I wasn't all that impressed. I preferred the Tiger 800xc I rode last year.
  3. I have some friends who have 650 VStroms. Initially they both went to test ride the 1 litre jobbies and weren't impressed, but after riding the 650s were hooked. Mind you this was about 4 years ago now and things have probably changed.

I suggest you ride both the 650 VStrom and the Tiger and make an informed decision.

Depends if you're looking at buying new or used. Enquire with dealers regarding service costs. I would guess that VStrom parts may be cheaper than Truimph
  4. The other think to consider is if you only going to do unsealed roads you may not need the Vstrom or Tiger.

My Bandit handles unsealed roads quite well. I wouldn't take it on a fire or logging track but well formed gravel roads, not a problem.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. I agree with b12mick just get some Pirelli Scorpion Trail tyres or equivalent
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. The vstrom is VERY capable of aggressive twisties and pretty hardk0re offroad if you really want to sway either way.
  7. 650 V Strom is a nice capable bike (I tested both it and the DL1000) but it doesn't really hold a candle to the Tiger 800 ABS in engine, handling, styling or comfort. It does have better wind protection and cheaper parts. Accessories are similar in price.

I bought the Tiger in the end mostly due to the engine and handling. Everytime I ride it I'm sure I made the right choice.

If you were doing a lot of offroad or even if you just wanted better handling the difference in price would mean a fair bit for tuning the V-Strom suspension to match you.
  8. I test rode a V-strom 650 last Friday and it was pretty nice, but when I test rode a Hyosung GV650 Cruiser the riding position was a lot more comfortable.

So I'm wondering to get a second hand GV650 or 700 for about the $5.5k mark or spend the extra $2-3k and get a Vulcan? Thoughts?
  9. Or not.....
  10. I thought you wanted to do unsealed roads. Neither of those bikes are particularly dirt road friendly.
  11. Yeah, I did initially. But I didn't like the riding position of the V-strom, so I'll just stick to the highway.
  12. Fair enough. Refresh my memory, what do you ride now?
  13. I used to ride a VTR250 and I've recently narrowed down my focus to either Hyosung GV650 or a Vulcan 800. I think the more relaxed riding style will help me.

Apart from riding to work 3 times a week, I'd like to take rides down the GOR and weekends up the high country.
  14. Before you decide, ride as many bikes you can. When you've think you've found the one(s) you really like, see if you can get them for a bit longer (an hour) and take them for a good long ride. Then decide if it's comfortable and relaxed.

I say this because 2 years ago my wife took a bike for a couple of short test rides, thought she liked it and thought it was comfortable so she bought it. It was a replacement for a bike she loved but wrote off.

On the first decent ride we went on she ended up riding my bike home because hers was causing her too much pain. We are now trying to sell this very good but very unloved bike. A Suzuki SV650 (non LAMS). I love riding it, but I can't justify owning two bikes for one of them too sit in the garage for weeks on end.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. Cruisers are fine for dirt roads generally because they are long and low. Just get one thats not too slammed
  16. Slammed = ??
  17. I'm not sure I'd be happy to take a cruiser on the Wee Jasper-Tumut road, or even some of the not so flash bitumen back roads around here.

Although that does kind of depend on what your definition of a cruiser is.

Very low to the ground, next to no ground clearance.
  18. My vt1100 was much superior to my zx6 on the dirt. I got up to 90kmh on dirt on that. Nearly any road bike will do dirt roads. If you are only doing them very occasionally. Like less than five percent of kms then adventure bikes are a bit of overkills.
  19. That's true. I wouldn't recommend someone ride a sports bike on dirt roads often or at speed.

But he didn't mention sports bikes, he mentioned 'adventure bikes' and cruisers.

Had he said he wanted to do dirt roads on an R6 I would have made the same comment that it wouldn't be dirt road friendly.

And of course there are dirt roads and there are dirt roads. I've ridden some dirt roads that were better to ride on than some bitumen roads I've been on.
  20. Ok it was pretty much of a muchness between my xb12x and the cruiser as well.