Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Help me choose my first road bike :)

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by christrails, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Hi guys, I'm in the market for a LAMS bike, style doesn't really matter. Capacity is up to you on how much you think will be enough for me to learn on but then to have for the 3+ years I will have to comply with LAMS. So maybe a 600cc sport bike ie Yamaha FZ6R or Ninja 650?

I will be commuting daily and do short to long distance, as well wanting to ride on the weekends. It might be slow through traffic so I don't know if that affects anything.

The budget is $10,000 and new or used it doesn't matter and I would like something that is 2006+

Size or weight isn't an issue for me. I also ride dirt bikes on the weekends and have been for a while so don't worry about me not being able to ride or handle the bike.

Thanks, Chris :)
  2. just noticed you made another thread so ill post it here instead.

So you have experience on dirt bikes, that's good.

How do you not have your license already? or do you ride the dirt bikes on private land>?

Sevensins answered your question regarding LAMS bikes etc, but as for which bike you want, its really an individual choice.. what works for one person doesn't work for another..

without repeating what all the other threads on here say, just have a search and weigh up the pros and cons for each bike you like, and obviously once you have your L's go test ride some, figure out what works for you etc.. buy the one you feel comfortable and confident riding..

also don't forget insurance (bare minimum being theft and fire), but i recommend full comp, for that added peace of mind.

your budget is well over a standard budget for a first bike, so you don't want to in a hypothetical situation just throw away that money by crashing or someone taking you out.

if you can afford to buy a 10k bike, you can afford $1000 a year in insurance..

good luck!
  3. I don't have my license yet because I need to get 70 in my HSC (it's a deal with my parents, long story).

Yeah, I suspect it will be very different but I will stil enjoy riding.

There is no doubt that I will insurance, thats why I am also thinking a super motard because the insurance is really cheap especially for my age at full comp.

Oh no way I mean I am saving up for that, I have money saved up already (almost 8K) should I reduce the budget and keep the change?

Thanks for the response :)
  4. Hows the GS 500? I can get an 2011 brand new one for $6,990 ride away. not going to buy new but its justs really cheap for a new one would eliminate some used problems.
  5. anyway back the gs500 is air cooled yes? is that an issue? also I am looking at the DRZ400SM and the FZ6R.
  6. I am a noob so dont know the answer
    Except pretty much everyone on every thread
    Recomends thst bike.
    Sounds friggin cheap
  7. Id go a cheaper bike first go, you don't need to have the best bike out there as a first bike, especially lams bikes, i'm on my green p's in a couple of weeks and the gs500 in my opinion is pretty good value, its good commuting/highway speeds, yet still fun in the twisty bits, cheap to run/maintain.

good fuel mileage etc..

i'm 20 and i think from memory my insurance is just shy of $1200 a year.. with aami, its definitely cheaper than some other insurers such as RACV quoted me something like 3k?

i bought my bike with 14,000 on it in january, great condition, the bloke who owned it barely rode it because it was only a toy.. so i got a good deal i paid $4000, and its insured for $5000..

i've seen them on the net with more k's for the same price.. so shop around, if you have the cash to buy it new its really your choice..

Yeah its air cooled, tbh i haven't had any issues with it starting cold, starts first time, a couple of times i had to use the choke to get it idling right but once it warmed up its fine.

those 2 bikes you mentioned are really good, if you search this forum there is heaps of discussions on first bike choices and reviews on bikes so have a good look.
  8. Just a thought: you say you ride dirt, do you have a dirt bike and is motarding it an option?
  9. nah but I am buying a wr450f on the weekend so I could motard that and then chance the wheels on friday arvo and ride on the weekend :-O gosh neber thought of that man!

Thanks! my mind is made up! :D