Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Help me choose a battery (trickle) charger

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Whipster, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Thought I'd ask the collective Netrider wisdom about battery chargers. Have done a bit of a search, but I'm still a bit :-s

I need to buy a battery charger for the deep cycle aux battery on my 4WD. Happy to spend the bucks on a good trickle charger, and the CTEK ones seem to be the go, but I want to be able to use it on the bike as well.

The CTEK Multi XS 3600 seems like it will be fine for the bike, but at only 3.6 A it sounds like it will be painfully slow at topping up my deep cycle batt. At 7 A, the Multi XS 7000 sounds just adequate to do the job on the deep cycle (and anything bigger is too much $$$) - but they don't list it as being recommended for bikes on their website. So, will it be safe to use on the bike battery?

This thread mentions the 7000 being used on bikes, but I'm not sure if the battery in my poxy little 250 is more likely to blow up if a 7 A charger is used on it. Can't find any information on the kind of battery that's in the bike, unfortunately (ZZ-R250).

Am I over thinking this? Can I just buy whatever charger I feel like, and rely on its computer brains to not fry my battery? Seems like this might be the case...

Thanks in advance for your opinions :grin:
  2. bah just get whatevers cheapest. but make sure its a bike one not a car one.

i got one free with a bike and kept it when i solt the bike. theyre about $50 at any bike shop