Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Help mapping a route in the Healesville, Marysville direction

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' at netrider.net.au started by Subby, Dec 2, 2015.

1. Hey peoples!
    If all goes as planned, I'll be picking up a new MT07 early Saturday morning.
    I want to commence the break in on a long twisty ride up through Healesville to Marysville and out yonder.
    I'd like to cover between 300-400km for the day if possible. Where should I head from Marysville before I make my way back to Melbourne? Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

2.  Top
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Much appreciated cjvfr. Not too fussed which side of town I return on as I live in St Kilda. Which return route would be twistier?

On reflection, I should also mention that I would be happy to grab a hotel/hostel out yonder for the night and return Sunday, going the extra miles if there were some great ranges, views and roads to explore further out.

Sorry for being so ignorant. I was born and raised in Melbourne, but know bugger all in regards to the greater picture. Caught up in the big sticks for the best part of four decades. Keen to explore now...... better late than never :rolleyes:

4. The Reefton Spur is a signature road quite tight and twisty. The Whan... Yea Whittlesea route is more open and twisty. If you go down the Reefton then Cockatoo and Emerald. Then it is a bit of a boring slog back by Toll road or Wellington and North rd.

• Like Like x 1
  5. If you want to extend cjvfr's suggestion, you can go up to Yarck, turn left to Gobur, Caveat, Highlands and back to Yea. But the navigation is a bit more complicated.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Excellent, lots of options now. Cheers guys.

Oh yea and thanks again for linking those routes cjvfr. I really appreciate you spending the time to pass them on.

The weather looks great for the weekend. For once in my life I seem to have timed something well. I'll grab some photos if it all pans out

• Like Like x 1
  7. You could also head up to Eildon and do Skyline Rd. Nice road + a decent lookout at the top.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Great sunny weather but hot so remember to keep fluids up!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Cheers Mick. Noted. The more options the better, much appreciated.

10. PetesulPetesul also has a number of glorious runs through there. He may also have some suggestions. :)

• Like Like x 2
  11. Good advice mate, it's easy to get carried away and end up jerkey. I'll try to keep hydrated :wtf:

12. Cheers Oldmaid, if Petesul doesn't chime in, I'll send a PM.

As a new member, I must say that this forum is fantastic. Love the way the riding community is so tight knit

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Congrats on the new bike SubbySubby and what a great idea for your first trip. You mentioned staying overnight somewhere, perhaps head out to Mansfield via Eildon-Jamieson Rd and enjoy the 60 or so kms of sweepers, ending up at Whitfield to spend the night? I'd post a route but only have my phone atm. Whatever you choose it looks to be a fantastic weekend weather-wise so hoping you get plenty of kays on the new toy.

Cheers
    Ned :playful:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Cheers Ned and thanks for the info. Yea I'm really looking forward to it. Not only is there nice weather scheduled, but it's the first whole weekend that I've had off in Australia for years. I've had a lot on my plate of late, and this weekend is gonna be special. Exciting times.

• Like Like x 1
  15. To get to the good roads with not too much urban riding, one way is through Warrandyte (basically Eastern Freeway to Springvale Rd, Reynolds Rd Harris Gully Rd etc) then to Kangaroo Ground. From there, north to St Anderws/Kinglake and on to Yea etc or head east through Christmas Hills to to Yarra Glen then lots of options. Old Healesville Rd is nice to Healesville.
    Otherwise head for Gembrook (Can slab it out to the Pakenham Rd and turn at a roundabout onto the Gembrook Rd.) then Launching Place and you have the option of Warburton and Reefton Spur to Marysville or turn at the Launching Place pub to get to Healesville (Take Dalry Rd tuen at Don Valley as Don Rd isn't made all the way throught).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Kinglake road is gravelly at present. Easy enough to ride it but not properly....

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. Hi SubbySubby. Nice day ride up that way, be about 300km from your place. I prefer anti clockwise, as I like going up the 21km Reefton Spur, down the west flank and westward through the Black Spur. Both ways are great. There are lots of way to Warburton, you could go around the Dandenongs through Lilydale then one main road over the Reefton to Marysville and Healesville. If I'm going some stage, I'll let you know. I assume you have experience in the twisties.

• Like Like x 1
  18. congrats on the bike

• Like Like x 1
  19. Thanks a tonne guys. A lot of options to go over tonight, I really appreciate everyones feedback. I'll let you all know how I go.

PetesulPetesul - Not much experience on the twisties. Looking to gain some and thought it would be a good way to do so breaking in the bike at under 5rpm. Thinking it's also a great way to break in the engine with the variety of gears and engine speed. I'd slow you down mate, but let me know if you're up there, and if timing allows we can meet up for a coffee.

20. I certainly recommend you do some local riding SubbySubby before you head up the Reefton. New riders often have "come to God" moments when they get corners wrong and don't quite know how to correct themselves. It's also probably not the ride to break in a bike as you want the full range of capabilities from it to get the best enjoyment from the ride.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1