Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

help identifying problems on my bike

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by abvc, Oct 23, 2007.

1. i dropped my bike and looks like that i did a fair dmg to its both wheel suppoters. i tried to pinpoint the parts that need to be replaced and the difficulties.

front:

It seems that the front is bent from fork to downward
    -. what is the possbility of a wheel bent as well?
    -. how difficult it would be to fix the front from steering, to wheel?

rear:
    -. the left exhaust pushed against the swingarm.
    -. what's the likehood of a bent swingarm? how difficult is it to fix the rear wheel from swingarm to the bottm? is there a possibility that it get bent elsewhere?

pictures are here:
    http://s221.photobucket.com/albums/dd255/abvc12/accident_bigImages/

Thanks

2. It's difficult to see a full view of the front forks in any of those pictures.

Stand beside the bike and look down the forks from beside the instrument panel, towards the front wheel. You should be able to see if one or both of the legs is bent back towards the engine. You should be able to tell the same thing by looking at the bike from directly side on.

You should also be able to tell if the forks are bent to the side of the bike by the first method, above.

In either case, if the forks are bent in either direction, you will almost certainly have to replace them.

You should be able to get a pinch bar (wrap it in a large rag to protect the surfaces) between the exhaust pipe and the swing arm and lever it out to somewhere near original position. I would very much doubt if the swingarm itself would be bent from a drop.

3. oh, from bottom view is:
    front tyre: turned to the right when the steering head is straight
    rear tyre: angled to the right.

4. Ok, the forks are probbaly 'tweaked' in the triple clamps.

http://snipurl.com/1smae

Loosen off the bolts and let the fork tubes return to their normal position, then tighten the bolts again.

Rear tyre is more concerning; are the chain adjusters at the same mark on both sides? It's possible that this could have been out before the accident..

5. oh sounds easy for the fork (wishful thinking :LOL: )

the chain i noticed is tighter by 1cm to 2 cm from 3cm slack however the adjuster angle? looks the same as it was