Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Help... I know nothing!!

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by TMW81, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Hey all,

I joined this site and forum after suddenly deciding with my impending 30th birthday coming up this year that I needed more fun and thrills in my life... hence the motorbike interest. The challenge is I know absolutely nothing about motorbikes.
    I would love to hear from anyone who has any advice, suggestions, bikes to buy etc etc.
    Look forward to hearing lots.

2. Welcome to Netrider and the motorcycle fraternity, TMW81 (y)
    There are many riders within the forums who would be very happy to assist you with any queries you may have.
    In the meantime and as Goz has already mentioned, feel free to use the search function on the top of the page - many answers await you there.
    Best of luck T and again welcome :)
  3. Hey Relax - I knew nothing 12 months ago now I have a business dealing in motorcycle protective clothing and helmets

people here are helpful
  4. it's like you're trying to make 30 sound like a midlife crisis
  5. well, 30 is the new 40, isn't it? (or is that the other way around???)

either way, you're welcome here on Netrider, whatever question you ask will have been asked before, but we'll happily answer it again :).
  6. Welcome to NR :D

If you are in Victoria .. HART have a 90 min try it session ...
    It's a great idea .. and best of all .. it's free ( well it was 2 yrs ago :-s )
  7. Hi TMW

I was in your position a bit under a year ago. I still feel like I know nothing but it's great fun. Where abouts in Aus are you? In NSW, to get your learners, you do a weekend course (or one big day). I believe its similar in all the states. That course is a good place to start - you'll find out if you like it or not, and if you do, you'll have an awesome time. You book it in with the RTA. The only thing you should be able to do before you do the course is ride a bike in general i.e. if you can't ride a push bike you'd better learn that first :-s

After the course, if you're still keen on getting a bike, go and sit on a few to see what feels comfortable. I was having trouble deciding on the type of bike I wanted but sitting on them helped as you may or may not like the seating positions of an upright or laid back ride etc.
  8. TMW81 - I'm just getting back on a bike after nearly 20 years and can recommend the course for both Ls and license (well, in Vic anyway)

9. LOL - i am over 30, and funnily enough i went through a Hitting 30 - life reflection phase - i think 30 is the new early life crisis point as i seem to know a lot of people who get spooked and reflect upon their lives at 30.

Wife and I decided to take up motorbike riding as a hobby only 6 months ago. We have both been interested in bikes and riding but never ever did anything about it as you always get talked out of it due to the fact that it is risky.

We both enjoy it and we can only imagine how much better it'll be once we both start venturing out on day trips. (still learning so we are taking it one step at a time)

Like you i had never ridden a proper motorbike previously (peewee 50 don't count hehehe) and had no idea about any of it. It will all come with time, so if you really are interested and have a liking for motorbikes, jump on and give it a go :)

If i can do it anyone can. (y)
  10. Yep same here started when I was 31 or so knowing nothing and now find bikes take up 90% of my attention.

Where abouts are you?
  11. Welcome!

My partner and i were in the same situation as PGriz a few months ago - we'd both been interested in riding for a while but were always talked out of it. So a few months ago at ages 29 and 28 respectively we finally got our L's.

It's the first time i've learnt to operate anything manual and i thought i would never get the hang of it but with practice its all coming along nicely and when something 'clicks' or improves, you get so much satisfaction and enjoyment out of it.

Do the L's course - in NSW its subsidised so its not too expensive and at the end of it, if you enjoyed it, hey you've got your L's.
  12. Hi there, welcome!

I have recently got my L's in Vic at the ripe old age of 35. My wife and I had been talking about it for 15 years like so many others (yes, been married 15 years now.. wow time flies). I finally made the jump and I can't believe I wasted all those years. My wife will be getting her L's soon too.

I spent about 3-4 months researching different bikes, seating positions etc... I have had a lower back issue for about 12 years now. Had an operation on it about 7 years ago. It's mostly OK now, but I need to be careful of it. At first, I was looking at cruisers, but, I discovered that with a cruiser (think Harley), your feet are forward of your hips. As such, any vertical impacts (bumps etc) mean that you take the weight on your lower back. There are sports bikes which are very popular, but for me, I didn't like the position of leaning forward that far, and your wrists might take a lot of weight etc. Then there are standard bikes. These are more upright, and for me was the best choice. My feet are directly under my hips, so, any bumps etc I can absorb with my legs instead of my back. I went for a Honda CB400, which is a very nice bike (IMO).

So, my advice is much like the others here. Go out and sit on different bike types and sizes and see what feels comfortable to you. When you do, also think about riding in that position for an extended period of time. Also, if you make the jump, I would also advise that you get good safety gear. It isn't cheap, but I think the cost of good gear is a better price to pay than skin grafts if you come off.
  13. Welcome, but nobody has anything helpful to say on this site.

Take me for example. Arse-talking is my specialty.
  14. Hey all,
    Wow, I am shocked and so pleased with the overwhelming welcome and encouragement. I am looving the posts that pacify me about turning 30 soon.
    I am in QLD and I am looking at getting my licence next week and then booking in to a start/learner's course. I like the idea of the HART try it session, I might look in to seeing if QLD has a similar or search in the forums here.
    Once I do the course that's when I will decide on what bike I will get. I have already started researching the best bike for a learner female who know's nothing.
    Thanks all for your welcome.

15. Hi,

After doing this for 42 years and counting, I think taking up motorcycles is a cool idea but be ready to work hard to be as ready for the road as you can be.

You've got several local training providers, so you can choose whichever one seems to work best for you. There's a lot of conflicting information around about the best techniques for a new rider to adopt and I'd be wary about taking too much from forum posts before you've had a chance to work with a good instructor. Check Raven's posts for some sensible advice in the Learner's section of this forum.

Stayupright offers Q Ride at Nerang, (for Qride Nerang Course Dates, call 1300 366 640)

Top Rider offers Q Ride on the Gold Coast at Nerang, 1300 131 362 or email info@toprider.com.au

An outfit called QRide Gold Coast is at 1300 13 13 62 or email info@qridegoldcoast.com.au

I'm not far away in Brisbane and I like helping beginners. If you need a hand with anything, sing out.

16. Hey T,
    I am in exactly the same boat as you... will be 30 in a couple of months and know next to nothing, but very keen to get started! I won't be able to get my L's until May when I get home from my extended holiday, but hired a little 125cc scooter the other day (am currently in Thailand) and had an absolute ball learning how to use gears etc. Can't wait to get my own 'proper' bike. Good luck with your journey, there's loads of useful info on these forums.