Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Help, I just got an SR400, how does it work?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by naviicam, Sep 22, 2012.

1. Because I purchased it interstate I am unable to have the previous owner show me things. So for those in the know I would be super grateful if I could get a run down of how it starts.

Its a 2005 model. Here is what I have been doing.

1) The fuel ON RES & PRI is always on. Not sure if thats right or what does PRI mean?
    2) I turn the key to ON, then on the right handle I turn the switch to RUN.
    3) I pull the choke out.
    4) Pull the kick starter prong out... and then the fun starts
    5) There is a little handle next to the clutch that I have been told to squeeze while I try to kick start it.
    6) While I am squeezing this handle I try to kick start the bike. The kicking repeats for ages, till by some miracle the bike starts.

What I have learnt about the little handle next to the clutch is that at a certain point it becomes limp and I can kick start the bike without squeezing it. This is the time that it usually starts.

So I guess, I would like to know what is the correct process of starting the bike? What does that little handle do? What does PRI mean? and finally how does the KICK INDICATOR work?

Thanks for any help provided!
  2. PRI is Prime. Used when the bike's been sitting a while and the fuel in the carbs has evaporated (or if you've done work on the bike which necessitated draining the carbs).

In theory the OFF setting isn't needed, since it should switch itself on and off with the engine (there's a valve that works off the vacuum created by the engine). But things aren't always perfect so it is handy if you're planning on leaving the bike sit unused for a few weeks or more.
  3. Is your little lever a decompression valve? To make it easier to kick over.
  4. You bought it sight unseen from interstate?

With the bike in neutral slowly push the kick start with your foot until the starter sits at its highest point.

Pull in the decomp lever, the small plastic lever under the clutch. Push the kickstart down just a fraction.

Lift the kickstart up and give it a solid boot. Make sure you kick all the way to the bottom of the stroke.

There are loads of videos on the net of people starting it. Shouldn't be too hard.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Thanks everyone. The frist link is very helpful. I actually tried searching with no luck.

Yup. It was from a dealer in Perth (I'm in NSW). I loved the bike in the pictures and on paper everything seems fine. I got it delivered to a bike shop and had a service done on it and checked for anything that was wrong. Turns out all is ok. It was a gable, but I tried to make it an educated one.
  6. Yep, small lever is a decompression lever. It is to allows you to kick the engine over easier.
    One you've turned the key, fuel etc on, slowly push the kick starter down until you feel maximum resistance, pull the decompression lever in, then continue to kick slowly until you feel the resistance ease. Stop, let the kick starter rise to it's highest position then give it a good firm kick, repeat until it starts.