Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Help GSXR only idles, dies once choke is off

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by crutch, Nov 15, 2006.

1. Ok just finished up doing some cosmetic work on an GSXR put it back together and
    *it will start with the choke on(not without)
    *it will not idle above 4k rmp if u try it dies.
    *playin with the idle switch didnt do much.
    *Engine oil is only about 2 months old althou it was been sitting for those 2 months.
    *Fuel is brand new.
    *We did take to fuel tank of to tou7ch it up but i highly doubt we put it back incorrectly

Sounds like a carb problem to me my guess would be we got some forign matter in the fuel line and it fcuked the needles up. But i dont have the guts to take apart a 4 cyclinder carb.

Any thing else i can try. im fairly mechanicly able at least on my other bikes but the engine on the gsxr just look to big and complicated for me to fcuk with.

2. Whoa whoa whoa! Let's not go pulling carbs just yet.
    Think logically here, it was fine before you did the work, now it's not. Therefore, it muct be a fuel line routing or airflow problem from you disturbing something.
    Go and recheck everything thoroughly from start to finish.
    It sounds to me like you have a vacuum leak, as it needs heaps of fuel to idle.

Regards, Andrew.
  3. Sounds like the tank vacuum line has been put back on incorrectly. If it is on properly, check there are no leaks in it.
  4. the vacume fuel line aye ok ill get a look see on manday tell u how it goes and post some pics of the new paint job