Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Help! GSXR cutting out/not idling

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by johnbl, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Hi all, hoping to get advice on a problem that meant I had to abandon my bike this morning (at home).

I went to start up my GSX-R600 (K1) this morning. It was cold, so as usual I gave it some choke, but it took much longer this morning, and I had to give it some throttle too, which is unusual.

To cut a long story short, the bike doesn't seem to idle properly. I only got down to the end of the road, and when I had to stop at the stop sign it just died. It was also chugging along, and it just seemed too unsafe to ride in rush-hour traffic, so I rode it back home (after one or two more cut-outs).

I had the choke on most of the time as it would just splutter and die whenever I turned it off. There seems to be no problem with the electrics (everything came on as usual when I turned the key), starter seems to work fine, and no FI errors were on the display.

The only thing I can think of is that I gave the bike a good wash on Sunday (including cleaning and lubing the chain), and I'm worried that I may have done some damage (though I'm careful not to just hose it down). Come to think of it, it did seem to need a bit more throttle in the last two days on my commute, but nothing as bad as this morning.

I had to just leave it this morning as I couldn't be late for work, so, are there any things I should check when I get home? Any help would be much appreciated, I really want to troubleshoot it before bringing it to the bike shop as I'm pretty broke.

And no, the irony of this happening on Ride to Work Day isn't lost on me... :?
  2. Could be a rectifier/regulator issue if it's stalling. Wouldn't explain the starting issue though. hmmm.... You could try increasing the idle speed and see what happens. Is it stalling because the revs aren't consistent or does it just 'drop out?' Another simple test would be draining the tank to make sure no water got in during your wash. Even though there's no FI code, dearler mode may show something.

Also, just so you know. Your bike is injected, no carbs and therefore no choke.
  3. Thanks James,

Yeah, I'll check the idle speed when I get home. It just seemed to be dropping out, but to be honest I just didn't have the time to troubleshoot this morning, so will take a better look at it this evening.

And correct, it doesn't have a choke, it has an idle adjuster.... just recently moved up from an older 250, so still in the habit of calling it the choke :facepalm:
  4. No probs.
    First thing I'd do then would be an error check using the 'paper clip' dealer mode technique.
    If no errors are showing, play with the idle speed adjuster (not the one on bars) and see if it makes a difference.

If nothing changes, it's probably an electrical issue with the rec/reg, which is a common issue for 00-03 gsxrs. Mine had similar symptoms, running fine one day, dying the next and this was the problem.