Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

HELP.....Engine Rebuild

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by shvercer, Apr 2, 2007.

1. Hi All,

I was wondering of you could direct me to a mecahnic how could check out and rebuild the engine in my XT600.

The engine blows some smoke. It has a rattling noise - sounds like the noise when timing chain is gone, but apparently these bikes don't have timing chain?!

I am located in Sydney.

Any idea how much am I looking to spend for engine rebuild??? Approx??

Thank you.

2. Timing chain wont cause the smoke, but probably does cause the rattling......

If you wanted the perfect engine to start learning how to work on/rebuild an engine on you couldnt start much simpler than an XT donk.
  3. Have a crack. Its winter, so alot of riders (unlike myself) go into hybernation. Why not pull her apart, have a go... Just get the workshop manual, a heater for the shed, couple of cases of beer, ask lots of questions, and do everything you can do to improve the bike while its outta service. Chances are it hasnt had a lot of TLC, so why not save the $$$, learn some more, and extend the life of your baby. Good luck, have fun!