Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Help! engine clonking noise on 05 CBR1000RR

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by Neg, Feb 23, 2007.

1. Hey,

I bought a 2005 CBR1000RR 2 months ago privately and have noticed a clunking noise in the engine area. It seems to get louder as the bike heats up. When the bike is in gear there is no noise, when i pull the clutch in at the lights the sound would start again. I hold the brake and put it in first and slowly let it out and the noise goes away...

Would really appreciate any ideas anyone might have.

Thanks, Dave

2. Noise

I'd be whipping off the clutch cover & checking if the clutch basket has any movement. Sounds possibly like the hub centre nut may be loose.
    Does the noise vary with engine speed or different loads when riding?

3. it doesn't make any noise when riding, only at idle...

4. I would be very suspicious of any noise coming from that area, it would be best to get it looked at under warranty (hopefully!)

5. Just a long shot.. timing chain? My cbr600f3 has a bit of a tapping/clunking occasionally at idle which comes and goes a bit, which im pretty sure is the timing chain.

6. the hydraulics might of fukt out on the cam chain tensioner
    get a manual one
    prolli why its soo rackety

soo it only happends underload??

7. Every CBR I've owned (3) had a noisy clutch when in neutral with the clutch left out..

I could be the cct, but even if it is noisy, it generally isn't a serious mechanical problem.

8. Yeah, thats what ive been told too, bit of timing chain noise is fairly standard, as well as the input bearing in neutral making a bit of sound.

9. thanks guys, was just worried

10. It is not likely to ba a cam chain tensioner as these get less noisy as the engine gets warmer, they are usually most noisy at start up.

I suggest getting the clutch basket checked asap, If the centre nut comes off it will leave you stranded.