Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Help deciding on a bike

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by rohanmate, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Hey guys,
    Just wanted to ask some questions regarding some specific bikes and wondering if anyone is able to give me some feedback.
    I think I've established that I should try and avoid a 250 for my first bike, due to being cramped on it. I'm 6'1, 80kg. I have about 4k maybe a bit more to spend.
    So I need to start looking at things that have better function for someone my weight and height, and that's in my price range.

I know A LOT of people recommend the GS500F, I know they are meant to have bullet proof engines but are they 'fun' to ride? they look a bit docile and boring, but saying that i haven't ridden one.
    Another one that I find a lot more appealing is the GSX650F, little bit more pricey but there is one at a dealer thats $3,500 but it has 99xxx kms. Should i stay away from this bike?
    I also had a fellow netrider recommend looking at a GT650R because it would suit my weight/height better and give a better looking styling, but will this bite me because I would be purchasing a lesser quality brand? does anyone have any expreinces with late model Hyosung.

I also really like CB400s, CBR500R SV650s and Ninja 300's but are a bit out of my price range.

So, should I just try shopping around and pick up something like a GS500F and keep it until I'm off my restricted, or save for something a little more up market?

Thanks in advance, appreciate every ones help!
  2. Hi, Rohanmate. I am sure there will be a flood of opinions here so i'll start the ball rolling. Get to every new/second hand dealer you can find and sit on as many bikes as you can. Be comfortable and feel secure. Look for good tyres brakes and suspension. I think you need to take special care when choosing your first bike because you need a machine that can forgive your mistakes whilst you learn the trade.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. As pdsa42 said. Test ride. Go to dealerships with a broad range, sit your arse down on them all, and if possible, test ride. Then test ride. Then after you test ride, test ride. You'll know after a run on a few different bikes, which is the most comfortable for your style of riding.

If you're punting on your learner's, then don't go and buy something you haven't sat on, test ridden and had a good look over. Nothing worse then riding a bike you've just bought that feels like its shoving a big vibrating carrot up your bum. If you don't know much about bikes, get someone with a better idea about the mechanicals so they can give you advice on whether you're throwing your money at a sinkhole or not. Don't forget to test ride the bike.

Other things to consider
    - what purpose is this bike serving
    - do i like looking at the bike
    - when is the next service due and is there logbooks and receipts
    - test ride the bike
    - inspect the simple things, look for rust and kinks in the chain, worn sprockets, bloodstains on the handlebars etc etc
    - don't spend all your hard earned cash on your first bike, chances are you'll drop it at least once, and its only a temp until your fulls.
    - test ride the bike

my personal opinion on lams would be a cb400 or an sv650. Or a motard. Everyone bags the hell out of hyosungs, but i personally haven't owned one. One of my friends had a seized brake disc twice, another had to replace his regulator 4 times on his 2012. Both hyos.
  4. I wouldn't buy that bike if its got 99000 klms on it. I say get a bike u can afford now. One if those 500f s would be good. Nothing wrong with a hyo as well but a gt650r has a pretty sporty riding position which is not for everyone. A 650s might be worth a look
  5. Just to put an example of the other side...my son bought a Hyo GT250R some 6 years ago, and has never had a moment's trouble with it. Currently using it as a commuter to university..with his fiancé pillioning.
  6. Here's another opinion of the many you'll get...
    Why not get a 250 as your first bike... they're cheap to buy, run, register, insure, you'll probably do 250km on a tank, and then later when you're on your opens, get the bike of your dreams and either get rid of the 250 or keep it as a commuter / run around.

In the mean-time, you can save for that dream bike whatever it is.
  7. Awesome! So much fantastic feedback. It makes sense to go test ride everything I can, so I can get some perspective on which bike suits me.
    Will the dealers have an issue with an l player wanting to test a few bikes or do thy encourage this? (What if I drop it :blackeye:)
    I'll probably end up doing that tomorrow then!
    I have already purchased a Bell RS-1, RST ventilator jacket III, and some gloves

Thanks flyin dutchie for the detailed overview, it's really helpful
    And thank you Edward, grey dog,base jumper and pdsa42 for sharing your experiences and opinions with me! It makes this process easier reading your opinions :) thanks
  8. No worries matey... do what you have to, then enjoy the ride!
  9. I can't see the dealerships having an issue with an l-plater riding a lams motorcycle as a trial. Usually there is a waiver form or something you have to fill out. I stopped dealing with dealerships a while ago, but a few years ago they let me test ride a 750cc on a provisional licence, so i can't see it being an issue. Surely there is paperwork in place.
  10. oh that's cool then. I'm not really planning on actually buying new from a dealer, maybe second hand, but if it's the same as cars the better deals are in private sales, but doing it this way will give me an opportunity to try bikes.
  11. that was the idea ;-) good luck on the hunt
  12. I will mirror what everyone else says as to trying out bikes, but I bought both my bikes without test riding or even sitting on them and I was comfortable with both and had no problems whatsoever. Maybe I got lucky, but I had small windows of opportunity to buy and I gambled but it paid off.
    However both bikes were only a couple of years old when I bought them so mechanically there was no problem.
    Also if its your first bike I believe you will adapt to the bikes riding position, its more a matter of what style of bike you want.
  13. Thanks!

@icemaker@icemaker haha ballsy. I guess when it pays off it's good though :)

Does anyone have first hand experiences with the gs500s in the cold, like start up and reliability in winter. Being non fu injected, is this a negative or not reallynoticeable
  14. You can't go past GS500 either faired or unfaired. They are reliable, comfortable, powerful enough and are a bike that you don't need to upgrade as soon as you get your full license. Once you have finished with it, provided you have looked after it, you should get your money back. For the price they are the best value for money bike for a learner . They are easy to work on meaning you can do your own services. My son had one for a while until he upgraded to a GSXR-750 and swears by them. Provided you get a well maintained bike you will not have any issues including in the cold. No issues with it being a carbi bike, remember until 10 years ago most bikes were carbies, not fuel injected.
  15. Get the one you think you'll have the most fun on... unless you're using it to commute then find something like a wr250x
  16. Oh cool thanks @Bandit01@Bandit01
    I'm heading out tomorrow morning so should be able to find some to sit on/test ride among other models hopefully

I'll be riding to work and uni sometimes, as well as some times to visit family between 1-3.5 hours away
  17. So this morning was a bit of a disappointment.
    Went to every Bike yard in Bathurst. One of them had 1 used bike, the rest all small and all selling only new bikes. Sat on a gs500f, cbr500r, ninja 300. I liked the ninja because it was compact compared to the gs500f, but the ninja was a bit more cramped.
    Not sure what to do from here though, probably just keep looking at the classifieds and once i find one close though that im interested in try and test tride that?... anyway wish there were more bikes on the market within an hour and a half from me.
  18. Oh the Kawasaki guy said if i was interested in a new bike, they doing 3% intrest rate on the ninja300, so he said hypothetically if i payed 4k depost, its $81 a month or something for 3 years, at $6600
  19. Check bikesales and gumtree. Nothing wrong with private sales if the bike is still young and has been maintained (check log books and do a good visual)
  20. yeah thats what ive been doing the whole time, I just wanted to test ride something i was interested in before going to view one on gumtree or bikesales. Anyway some of the closest bikes in the classifieds are almost 2 hours away aswell haha.