Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

HELP!!! dead '96 gsxr 750

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by BrisGSX-r, Dec 8, 2006.

1. my bike was fine, rode it to a friends place, went to start it, and all the lights etc clicked off and wont come back on. the battery is ok, all fuses are ok.

when i measure the voltage on the battery is 12.4v , when i turn on the ignition it goes to 0v. continuity test shows the positive wire is shorted with ground when the ignition is switched on, but not when off.

bike is completely dead, what can i do/check??

please help me.

2. ahhh electrical gremlins. The home mechanics best friend...

Ok just grab a test light and go probin' there must be current getting somewhere!

Test things like the "hot" accessories, like the horn (horn should always have 12+ and have a switched earth)

Look for power at the ignition switch. Basically you have to find where the power is stopping.

If you rode it then it just stopped then chances are it's just a fuse/plug or something else lame.

Yeah the positive line will be grounded with the ignition on cause of things like lights, which have the ground on theother side of the light.

heh... sucks to be you!

Tim.

PS can you tell I hate electrics?

3. If its going to 0V when you turn th ekey on, but havn't thumbed the starter my guess is it's in the starter switch block. It's earthing to the handlebars.

given the lights aren't coming on it may be in the key barrel or connector to the barrel itself, but the not lights may just be because all the power is being drained through the sitch block.