Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Help cleaning carburettor

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by Jewfishy, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Hey guys, so my Vtr 250 has been sitting for a while and I think it's about time I get to cleaning/modding her up. Figured the carbs could do with a good clean.

So, what exactly do I need, I've heard i'll need to replace the gaskets, where can I get them from?

Can I soak the parts in degreaser (after taking out rubber components), or will I need some special carb cleaner?

Any tips/things I should know?

2. Youtube is your friend. Heaps of how to videos.
  3. You can buy cans of Carb cleaner,a good quality philips head and a few small ring spanners for the jets.With some luck only the jets might have some deposits,left after fuel evaporates.Without luck the tiny passages in the carb body might be blocked,then its an Ultrasonic cleaner.Compressed air helps as well.How is the bike going before any work.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Bike runs, however the throttle is a little sticky and response is somewhat sluggish.

Also, should I be taking it apart and getting the gaskets/o rings out before using this, or can I just soak the entire unit?

(Also, got an industrial air compressor so I should be able to get alot of gunk out with that)
  5. 2fiftycc.com
  6. Look at Youtube. All will be revealed.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. I have spent the last week doing so. However, I am simply asking for a second opinion/tips that people may have encountered doing it themselves.

Just looking for some extra advice. (Since i'm a broke noob)
    • Like Like x 1
  8. I would sort the rebuild kit first.are these CV carbs or slide.If the action is sticky maybe you need new cables or at least lubing the cables or cleaning the throttle twist grip mechanism.Is the throttle snapping back by itself after a twist and letting it go.BTW most of the bits that gummed up are in the float bowl.Before stripping the lot try just pulling the brass jets out and spraying some carb cleaner through them and a blast of compressed air and putting them back.Nice and gentle with these fixings,there easy to damage.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  9. Slide carbs.

Yep, throttle snaps back fine. I understand some of the slight sluggishness is from old fuel, old oil and the fact it hasn't been run in a while. Sorting oil/fuel tomorrow.

Hoping to do this without a rebuild kit as they're pretty hard to come by with the vtr 250, throttle isn't that sticky and it's still very much ridable, just doing this for good measure as I am cleaning the whole bike. Will be lubing all cables in the process too.

From what I've seen, using the carb spray is fine aslong as you remove all the rubber diaphrams throughout the carb. The people I've seen do this leave the gaskets in and spray over them, some doing this with the o rings too, others not. That's where I'm confused. Worried carb spray might ruin the gaskets/o rings.
  10. I've been doing mine today. I took the plastic and rubber components out and boiled the jets screws, float bowl and body in citric acid on the bbq. Quick sprY of carb cleaner and compressed air for good measure.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Did you remove the rubber gaskets? If so were you able to re-use them?

If not was it possible to clean the carbs without taking it apart where the gaskets seal the carb and not damage them?
  12. I use Carb cleaner, which works well.
    If you are like me and can't afford an air compressor, or just don't have the space; I have found using a 'bicycle pump' with a ball inflator fitted works well to get into those tight/small passages throughout the carb body.
    If your bike has been run with E10 fuel, it might pay to replace fuel lines also.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Carbie cleaner doesn't eat rubber.

You can buy kits for carbies. You don't have to use them, but give your carbies a good inspection when you have them apart. You won't know until you inspect whether you need the kit or not.

check all o-rings and gaskets. Most importantly check the float needle and seat and check the throttle needles and seats.

Set your float height and when it's all back together, do a sync. this is very imprtant to the smooth running of a bike, particualry a 250.
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Cheers for the help guys, should be good to go!
  15. Well, neoprene is pretty hardy as a general rule of thumb. 20 year old neoprene that has gone dry is less than hardy. Although the gaskets were intact and not cracked I don't think they're flexible enough to be up to the job so they're being replaced.

Having little confidence in my abilities to strip and reassemble carbs Im only taking off what I think I will need to take off. Main concern is one o ring, float bowl gasket (its the simplest one), clean jets, bowl and needle seat. Will check diaphragms and replace if necessary. (hoping not to).
    • Like Like x 1