Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Featured Help choose my next bike please

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Motobecane51, May 14, 2015.

1. Hello fellow riders.

I am currently riding a scooter (Piaggio Fly 150ie) and will be upgrading as soon as I get my unrestricted licence.

I have been looking around and have narrowed my choices to 2 bikes:

1. Honda Shadow 750c
    2. Suzuki Boulevard C50

Initially I also considered the Yamaha XVS650 but decided against mainly because I wanted fuel injection and water cooled in my next bike.

Can you fellow riders please give me some feedbacks and your opinions on the 2 bikes mentioned above?

Also a friend told me that there lots of deals to be had at the end of the year. Is that the case?

Thank you so much.

2. Howdy,

My vote would be for this one, of the two;

• Like Like x 1
  3. Trumpy Thruxton gets my vote!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  4. I am not a fan of cruisers, but here is my 2 cents worth.
    Honda and Suzuki make good reliable bikes and I have had several of each but I would widen my choice a little to include other brands.
    I would ride each on your short list and go with what you feel most comfortable with.
    Also a little criticism of the manufacturers, it is the 21st century, why are they still putting drum brakes on bikes?
  5. Thanks

I chose those 2 Japanese bikes mainly because of reliability and cost. I also want a brand new bike and plan to keep it for many years......

If money was no objection I would be getting a Harley but realistically those 2 would suit my situation better.

Any more feedback/opinions please?
  6. The Harley Street 500 is cheaper again..... although the reviews haven't been glowing.
  7. The Kawasaki Vulcan 900 is a better bike than either of the 2 bikes you've short listed (seriously).

It's got a nice valenced front guard, white wall tyres, tank mounted instruments, foot boards and optional saddle bags, chrome rear rack and sissy bar with pillion pad.

And on top of that it's got more power, more torque and more road presence than the Suzi and the Honda combined.

8. Yes I also read a review of the Kawasaki Vulcan on Cruiser and Trike magazine and crossed it from the list because it does not have a shaft drive....... It is a gorgeous and classic bike just like I like them : )

I am really in between those two. I noticed that Suzuki also have a touring version called C50T that has a number of accessories on it. That would save some money in the long run if I was to add those items......

I am also kinda familiar with Honda as I am driving a Honda Civic. Not sure if that is much relevant though,,,,, : )

Please keep the feedbacks and opinions coming : )
  9. I'm not a fan of chain drive cruisers because chains splatter chain lube in hard to reach places but IMHO belt drives aren't any more trouble than shaft drives (just something to consider) :)
  10. Hi Motobecane51, welcome to the forum. I've never ridden the Honda before but I currently own a black 2012 Suzuki C50 which I am thinking about putting up for sale. I can say, they are an excellent bike. Plenty of go for a cruiser.

Back in March, a few mates and I went for a cruise from Ballarat to Geelong, then down the great ocean rd to Lorne and back. About 300 kms all up, and was a great ride. The C50 seat is quite comfy. My mates were on Harley's and all had sore bums after 30 minutes and needed to stop for fuel all the time. I did the whole trip and still had a bit left in the tank!!

The only reason I am thinking of selling mine is that I just can't find the time to ride it often enough. If you're interested, it has approx 4,000kms on it (barely run in!) and am asking $8000. (Save approx $4000 off new!)

11. Yamaha Bolt is a belt on a good cruiser. If it's in your price range it's worth putting on the short list.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. The Bolt seems to be more of a Sportster style than a pure cruiser but I reckon the Bolt is awesome. Star Bolt C Cafe.
  13. It's amazing how much like the V Star XVS650 is like the Honda Shadow! Although I think the Honda is better looking.

14. If you're in Sydney, I have a Honda VT400 in which I'm due to sell soon. You can check it out if you like...
  16. Yes I have considered the Yamaha Bolt. I went to BikeBiz last Saturday and sat on it. It did not feel very comfortable compared to XVS650 or the VT750C

Also in regards to the esthetics it's not really to my taste...... It looks like a bunch of parts screwed together without too much consideration for esthetics. The lines of the XVS 650, CT50 and VT750C are all fluid and smooth. The parts looks where they should be and are classic. I suppose that those bikes will still be around in 10, 20+ years time albeit some minor improvements...... That is just my opinion and no disregard top any Bolt owner ....... I like curves : )

Thanks a lot for the fantastic offers on your bike. May be if I see them in person I may decide to buy them...... but I have worked hard and saved enough to get a new bike.

Please keep the comments coming : )
  17. Don't apologize! That's EXACTLY how the Bolt is 'styled' :)

Yamaha make some very tasty cruisers but the Bolt isn't one of them.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. I have no doubt that the Bolt would look gorgeous to lots of people : )

Unfortunately the bike does not 'talk' to me like others.....

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder......

Please keep the comments coming : )
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. It's great that we don't all like the same thing (apart from all liking bikes!). As you say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I would not get the Bolt as my only bike but as part of a stable of bikes I can see one in my future :) I see the cruisers as too soft but only you know your intentions for the bike. I do like the look of that Honda Shadow though :)