Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Help...Another Clutch Problem Across.

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Wilson, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Hi,
    After searching through the various clutch threads I couldn't find one with the symptoms I'm experiencing. My bike had a service the other day and since then my clutch has been giving me griefs. Bike is a 1991 Suzuki Across, ~30k kms on it.

The friction point was way out at the end of the lever (fully released) when I got it back from the mechanic, so I decided to adjust the lever with the adjuster knob a little clockwise, seemed to work bring the friction point closer to the bars. When riding I noticed a loose screw being turned by the wind on the clutch, (Was like o sh*t) I pulled over and realised it was the screw that holds the lever to the bars, the pivot point bit, I tightened it hand tight and went straight home.

Now the problem, I go to ride my bike just now and I find the clutch doesn't seem to be letting go. I adjusted the knob on the bars to move the friction point and nothing, then I adjusted it all the way in and out both ways to try and get the friction point out but it's still to close to the bars.

When in neutral the bike wheels freely, in 1st with no clutch on it is as normal (can't move it), but when in 1st with clutch fully in there is friction but can make it move with a little force but the bike doesn't wheel freely, I can still take off fine but fear it may be wearing on the clutch.

Another thing is that when in 1st with full clutch and I wheel it there is a popping noise coming from the engine, sounds like pistons going up and down, this shouldn't be happening with the clutch in right?
    This noise can also be heard in neutral and wheeling, (May be my imagination though.)

Any thoughts and solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Wilson.
  2. Sounds like you clutch cable in tensioned incorrectly, when you pull the clutch lever, there should be 2-3mm of free play before the cable takes up.

If you've too much free play, the clutch won't disengage properly, if you don't have enough, the clutch won't fully engage.

Hope that helps.
  3. Ok, Thanks, helped a lot, Does the handle bars have to be in a set location for this? I assume straight, as the freeplay changes when you move them.

Also wheeling the bike in neutral and wheeling the bike in 1st gear with the clutch in should be the same smoothness/ no friction when pushing right?
  4. No, there will be more friction when in gear with the clutch in. It's got something to do with where the oil sits that I don't fully understand. I'm sure someone else will be able to provide details as to why this happens.
  5. Thanks guys, Had a play round with it today and have solved the problem.