Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Help a noob with gear reccommendations

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by blade5, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Hi everyone,
    I know there are a million and one threads about gear reccommendations, but I was after more specific help with gear.

I have found this site to be extremely helpful, infact I bought a Honda vtr250 recently (getting it next week) based on the reviews on this forum.

Anyway, I am looking at getting some gear. Protection is very important for me which is why I was looking at spending a bit more on gear. So please base your reccommendations on which would have better protection. I am also most likely going to invest in an additional Dainese back protector.

I would like a leather jacket and another jacket that I can use for if it rains.

For the leather. I was thinking of
    Dainese Newsan
    Shift Vendetta
    Ixon celtic
    Alpine Octane

for the textile:
    Alpine Star T-RC1 Air Flo

They are all on the bikebiz jacket website
    Thankyou in advance
  2. i wear a leather suit, pretty much all the time, and even in rain it holds up well enough i dont bother with another jacket, the only spots i get wet are the arms because it has a bit thats not leather and the water eventually damps it.
  3. in that sort of price range, especially if you are getting pants of similar quality you might be better getting a custom made suit.
  4. Best thing I ever did when I first bought my good riding gear was to go the cheap option on wet weather gear. Let me explain, basically your leathers are going to provide the best form of abrasion resistance so why decrease that in the wet, which happens to increase your likelihood of needing that protection?

I went down to my local surplus store and bought one of the cheap vinyl pants and jacket rain set. It's plastic so pretty much waterproof and if you buy in the right size you can just drag them over the top of your leathers. If it stops raining you can easily fold them up into a very small package and store them on the bike very easily. This also means you can store them in the bike permanantly for when you get caught out unexpectedly.

Total cost was about $25 from memory and you can easily find them in bright yellow for increased visibility when you need it, or for the purists a bit of hunting around will turn them up in bad-ass black.