Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Help a Newbie?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by motorshock, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Hello all just got my learners over the weekend and have been practicing on my Suzuki Across the last two days, I am just wondering what is the best way to practice and how long should I practice on the back roads until I venture out onto the main streets, as I have a week off work and would like to start riding to work when I go back.

2. At first you need to get used to controlling the bike so when you do get into traffic you can concentrate on it and not the bike. Then you can learn some roadcraft, which is easier if you've been driving already. With a week off I'd head out of town and just ride, nothing difficult and just get used to riding.
  3. what location are you at?
  4. I was thinking the same thing; if you tell us where you are, someone here is bound to know a quiet shopping centre car-park or an industrial area of even just a quiet back-street or two where you can get your skills up.

Oh, and welcome to Netrider :).
  5. Sorry I live in Canberra I know of a few places to go I just not sure if I am ready to get on the main roads yet., just about to go back out and ride. This might sound like a dumb question but last night I was riding my bike around and stall my bike when I was in 3rd gear how can that happen? Was I going to slow for 3rd?
  6. theres a bloke on here with the name motolegion who lives in Canberra, he is the king of slow, see if he can give u a hand
  7. When you do feel ready to venture out and about further, pick a quieter time and day, like Saturday afternoons, depending on where you live. Go your own pace and just get used to your bike first though.
  8. Pretty much.

Do you drive a car?

Forget everything about it, then, riding a bike is different. Your car engine is running out of puff around 5,000 - 6,000 revs, your bike engine is just starting to get into its stride at the same revs. You need to be revving the engine enough to get into the torque band before you change up, and you need to be in the right part of the torque band when you change down. If you go round a corner at walking speed in 3rd gear, you stand a good chance of stalling; if you're in second, or even first, the engine is revving up where it likes to be.
  9. Hey guys this is a great forum and there is a lot of great advise on these forums, anyways this evening was I went for a practice run (only my 6th time on a motorcycle) around my suburb and everything seems to be coming along nicely, I am still amazed that when you are using your and looking were to turn the bike goes there, I thought that was going to be the hardest part. I did have one problem, I was riding around in second and all of a sudden my bike was in neutral, I sort of panicked and closed the throttle I tried to change gears to first and there was a grinding noise, then I slowed down a bit more and got it into first. How did my bike go into neutral and what was that grinding noise? Also I am getting a new clutch for my bike on Tuesday, well I notice a difference with the way the bike changes gears?
  10. I'm only a novice to riding and mechanics but... if your bike needs the new clutch, is it ok to ride? (Well I guess you haven't hurt yourself yet)

I would think you will notice a huge difference to gear changes if the clutch is so old/worn that it requires replacing.

taking a stab here, the grinding noise may have been caused if you didn't pull the clutch in to change down, you didn't say if you did or didn't so I'm only assuming.

As for magically changing to neutral I'm stumped. But I swear that while I was doing my L's course that the bike managed to skip 2nd gear a couple of times, but it was likely me thinking I'd hit neutral and not 2nd and flipping it again.