Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Helmuts - What's the difference b/w bike and car ones?

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by OZChris, Apr 10, 2007.

1. Apologies if this question has been asked before.

As in the subject, I am curious what the are differences (if any) between a bike helmut and a car helmut? And can I use a car helmut on a bike and vice versa.

Thanks in advance

2. To ride a motorcycle on the road your helmet must have a AUSTRALIAN STANDARDS 1698 APPROVED sticker.

This is a motorcycle specific sticker so your car helmet might not meet 1698 standard and therefor is not allowed.
  3. If you have been using your helmet for track work in a car it would have to comply with AS1698 standards for you to be allowed out on to the track.
    This is one of the basic checks in scrutineering before you are allowed anywhere near a track.

If this is the case then yes its fine for a motorbike as its a motorbike helmet.

BTW, I've never seen a car only helmet and doubt there is such a thing.

4. The car only ones have a smaller eye opening, therefore not legal for use on the bike.
  5. Wrong, CAMS and a couple of other asociations do not require ASA.
    ASA is ONE of the acepted standards (Snell and Dot are 2 others).

If youve never seen a helmet specificaly for car racing have a look at the Supercar helmets next time there on TV, i'd hate to wear one of them on a bike.
  6. They are very similar. I own an Arai RX7 Corsair and an Arai GP5 car racing helmet, which is used by most of the F1 grid, drivers in LeMans, GP2, A1GP, Champ Car, IRL, F3, FIA GT, and many V8 drivers.

The biggest difference is that the eyeport of the GP5 is smaller and uses a conventional bolt hinge mechanism. The overall shell shape and external dimensions are basically the same as the RX7, but the car helmet fits more tightly.

Also the GP5 was twice the price ($2000) of the RX7.