Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by JS, Dec 15, 2006.

1. What factors do you consider in buying a helmet?

2. Fit, Price, PRETTY COLOURS and Visor system
  3. hmm... what about ventilation? I don't think I've personally benefitted from mine but I've seen many designs and a at least a few who have mentioned it as a selling point...
  4. My helmet has ventilation, so-called, but I'm not sure if it works or not. On a hot day it's hot wearing a helmet no matter what they do with it.

Factors? FIT, FIT and FIT. There ain't nothing worse than an ill-fitting helmet, it's like sleeping in a lumpy bed.

Make sure it keeps out as much wind noise as possible and is as light as possible.

Visor system is important too, as is the COST of replacement visors....
  5. exactly!
  6. Fit, fit and fit :)

I am an extra small in helmets, and after trying 4 different brands I am now the proud owner of a Shoei X11.

Yeah it was a lot dearer than others, but now I have a helmet for the first time in 15 years that actually fits properly :)
  7. when trying on a helmet, how do you judge wind noise in the showroom?

I have to agree with all of you though in regards to fit, if it doesnt fit properly you will end up regretting it. i, unfortunately, thought my helet fit well until about an hours ride with it and noticed a slight pain in my left ear. most likely due to the padding pressing against my neck. its all good now that it is worn in.

Ventilation you cannot really judge also in the showroom to a certain extent. A good ventilated helmet is the arai rx-7 due to the closeable holes in the visor. these two vents are up the top of the visor and redirected 90deg downwards to give you a non foggy visor.

Does money buy safety?

what do you look for in a design?(colours etc)
  8. Don't get me started on my hobbyhorse of how you are expected to buy a helmet without trying it out in real conditions :evil:

I can't think of anything else, (short of fire insurance!! :LOL:) that you are expected to buy without actually finding out if it's right for you in real life. A helmet that feels good in the shop might shreik like a banshee when you are doing 40kph out on the street; how are you going to find out?

The bike shop's defence is that they can't supply demonstrators of every helmet in every size, and also that once a helmet has been worn outside the shop it's not new any more. I have sympathy for all of that, but there must be a solution, because too many people come on here and say that they spent 500 bucks on a helmet and when they actually wore it riding, they hated it......
  9. Wear earplugs.
    Everybody should.

If it hasn't got Arai written on the side, walk away.
  10. Paul, me and you, the million dollar idea, wind tunnels at bike accessory stores to test ventilation and wind noise. We'll make a motza... :wink:
  11. Cant say a bad word against my shoei xr 1000, great venting and plenty of styles for you to choose from....that being said though, If it dont fit right dont buy it.
    Helmet warehouse in Sydney has a huge range and really good prices, (if your round sydney)
  12. !!!! You are not going to believe this; I was typing that into my original post, and I thought, "Nah, everyone would pooh-pooh that idea!", so I deleted it :shock: