Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

helmets without a standards sticker

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by vvp, Nov 7, 2006.

1. This question comes up periodically, but I decided to start a new thread instead of leeching onto an old and stale one. I looked up the QLD road rules here http://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/LEGISLTN/CURRENT/T/TrantOpRURR99.pdf. I can not find any statements explicitly requiring that a helmet must have a standards sticker. The only statement about admissibility is on p. 232 that a rider must wear an ‘approved helmet’ which is explained on p. 330 as a helmet which ‘complies with AS 1698–1988; or (b) another standard the chief executive considers is at least
    equal to that standard.’ Now, I can easily obtain the list of all helmets approved to the AS standard from standardmark. As far as I can tell then as long as my helmet is on the list it is legal to use.
    Maybe someone with a better understanding of the law or road rules could point to an obvious fault in this argument? I have surely overlooked something.

2. Beware of the helmet police. :|
  3. from Vicroads

Does it carry the AS/NZ1698 mark?
    You must wear a helmet approved by Australian Standards.
    Only approved helmets carry the AS1698 mark (also known
    as the AS/NZ 1698 mark). This mark provides evidence that
    the helmet meets the standard and should not be removed.

270. Wearing motor bike helmets
    (1) The rider of a motor bike that is moving, or is stationary but not parked,
    (a) wear an approved motor bike helmet securely fitted and fastened on
    the rider’s head; and
    (b) not ride with a passenger unless the passenger complies with
    subrule (2).
    Penalty: 5 penalty units.
    Note Motor bike and park are defined in the dictionary.
    (2) A passenger on a motor bike that is moving, or is stationary but not parked,
    must wear an approved motor bike helmet securely fitted and fastened on the
    passenger’s head.
    Penalty: 5 penalty units.
    (3) In this rule—
    approved motor bike helmet means a protective helmet for motor bike riders
    that is approved, by the Corporation by notice in the Government Gazette;
    passenger, of a motor bike, includes a person on the pillion seat of the motor
    bike, or in a sidecar.
  4. The first paragraph is from the vic roads brochure on riding gear and is hardly a statute. It does not say that helmets with no stickers are illegal either.
    The second paragraph reiterates my point.
  5. If you can find the approval :
    approved, by the Corporation by notice in the Government Gazette
    then let us see what it says. I suspect it says "any helmet issued
    and affixed with the approval sticker" or similar.

IMHO I can't see why anyone would bother taking the risk of
    buying stuff from overseas that doesn't have a standards sticker
    and could cost postage and time to get, if you recieve it at all.
    For that hassle it's worth a few extra bucks to buy it here.

IF you have a helmet you brought from overseas then by all means
    use it, I don't care, it's not ME you have to convince, its the cop
    or the judge. Can you be bothered going to that trouble? I can't.
    I've met several people who were wearing approved helmets
    but got fined for having removed the sticker...
    they didn't get off the charges.

Your choice.
  6. You save quite a few bucks. I am not debating the pros/cons of buying helmets from overseas though. I am trying to figure out the legal basis for these fines.
    SAI which certifies compliance with Australian standards does not certify individual helmets, but models. You can find the list of approved brands/models on their website. So neither road rules nor certification documents say anything about stickers.
  7. I actually went through this exercise just recently here in S.A. and eventually I was put onto the SA Transport legal department who eventually got back to me with the law as it stands here is that helmets must have the sticker attached, its a bit of a technicality and more to do with the actual wording, I will try to find the thread, personally my only real concern was with insurance not the legalities but as we know if insurance companies find a loop hole and get out of paying rest assured they will
  8. what if i remove the sticker because i love the graphics on my lid?

It still has a whole bunch of guff stitched inside the helmet
  9. Well here is SA the law states "Must have Australian Standards sticker affixed" so technically if you remove the sticker its illegal, Bloody stupid I know but thats the law for you
  10. Not really that stupid, when you realise how dodgy some of the asian imports are. The AS sticker is proof that the helmet design was tested in australia and passed the standard. It's an easy way for authorities to tell if a helmet meets the standard. A lot of the AS actual standards have written in them that if the sticker is not affixed then the helmet is deemed to be non compliant.

I just wish they would check it a bit more. Might get the R.U.B down the road to stop wearing the WWII german styled plastic bucket. :roll: looks real good.
  11. You must have an AS sticker for racing too, in NSW at least.
    Wont get through scruitineering without in regardless of other snell standards and stuff. They write down its number.

I think its a requirement of the insurance.
  12. Yes some of the asian imports are dodgy, But its stupid when you consider other developed countries standards are not acceptable here especially USA as you can buy the same helmets here as they sell in the US but like alot of things US is alot cheaper

13. yep same here in S.A.
  14. I'd agree that it would be silly not to approve US standards / international standards if they were the same or higher than ours. Anyone got a copy of the relevant Snell / Dot standards and AS to compare?
  15. I wouldnt wear anything that does not have a AS sticker on it..

i mean i only have 1 head and as ugly as it might seem.. i would like to protect it as much as i can.