Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Helmets with active noise reduction

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by JamesJoyce, Jan 21, 2005.

1. Simple question ... are there any on the market and are they at all effective ?

I know they exist for aircraft hemets and the millitary.

James (the one with ringing ears)

2. Interesting question.

I know that ANR [active noise reduction] pilot headsets rely on some passive noise reduction [PNR] where the headset seals around the ears, and then use black box electronics to phase cancel noise. Hard to see how that could be done for an MC helmet.

By definition a helmet is effectively an open bucket on your head that's moving through the air. Noise is absolutely guaranteed.

Use ear plugs! You'll get used to them in no time and you actually hear more things believe it or not.

I was suffering from really bad Tinitus, but since getting my plugs, the tinitus has pretty much gone, and my hearing has improved a bit.

Also, better to get the proper ones, if your under 21 or a pensioner call Australian Hearing on 131797, if over 21 and not a pensioner, call Hear Service 1300 30 20 31. These companies are the experts in hearing and hearing protection.

'91 Across
  4. the $6 swimming ear plugs work a treat and do just a good a job as the $100+ moulded plugs.
  5. Actually they dont do as well.

The ones i've got are also tested by the National Accustic Labratories. They are made to meet minimum standards required for the level of Db as produced by motorcycles. They are tested as being better at blocking out the appropriate frequencies, as well as the materials lasting longer and having less chance of causing irritation for the wearers ears.

I value the hearing i have left, and wont risk it.
    I've seen just how much damage the noise of riding can do, its not worth risking your hearing.

'91 Across
  6. what you say billy??

fark plugs, fark ANR and PNR and PMS or whatever, listen to some real loud music b4 you head off and the wind noice is cancelled out by that :LOL:

thats my story and i'll stick to it till i cant hear you tellin me otherwise :LOL:
  7. and for that you are correct Emily the cheaper $2 and $6 ear plugs you buy from the chemist are designed to meet minimum standards.
    The minimum standards will reduce air noise, engine and exhaust noise from the aproximate 130db at 120kph (stats from MCCNSW) to below the recomended standard of 80db.
    The $100+ custom made earplugs also do the same......

hang on that makes them both very similar does'nt it?
    regardless ear plugs reduce noise to an acceptable level, as long as they meet some requirements there better than nothing.
  8. wtf? why settle for music before the ride? destroy your ears on the move. get some headphones and an mp3 player. problem solved :D
  9. Don't know where MCCofNSW gets those stats? A quick look at US online purchasing shows that stock off-the-shelf earplugs only reduce dB by between ~25-33db depending upon type.

Note: In the US, all earplugs are required under their EPA regulations to be sold with a NRR advisement (Noise Reduction Rating) so if an earplug has an NRR of 20, it will reduce 100dB down to 80db.
  10. ANR and ear plugs

Thanks for the replies. Yep I use foam ear plugs for longer rides and I find them quite good. They take the edge off the wind noise but don't affect my ability to hear other things.

The reason I asked about ANR is that I don't want to be fumbling with ear plugs when I am one and off the bike running errands around town, or doing my 10 minute commutes to work.

Unfortunately even 10 minutes on the CB750 leaves my ears ringing. There is some sort of low frequency vibration emited at less than 3000 rpm that resonates in my (new) helmet (and my old one). This weekend I am go to have a look to see if the airbox has been mucked with.

11. Isn't tinitus an affliction that once you get it, you have it for life? I thought it was a ringing that's there all the time and comes from within, therefore earplugs, or whatever won't stop it.

Or is that some other hearing problem?
  12. Tinnitus can be treated to minimise the outside noise, but you are right in most case once it's inflicted they're is no cure.
  13. Tinitus is an affliction where there is no cure, however, for some people it does come and go, it can also be at different levels, eg sometimes is could be a gentle buzzing, and other times its a very loud ringing. Many people who suffer from it get it on occasion. For some who get it the majority of the time management is how it is treated. Management ranges from learning ways to basically ignore it (putting it in basic terms) to what they call "Masking" the noise of the tinitus with hearing aids.

'91 Across
  14. Tinnitus

You've been whacked by the spelling fairy :wink:
  15. I have Tinnitus, but don't mind having it. During the day it just becomes part of background noise. However when I'm going to sleep, occasionally it keeps me awake, sometimes its just a high pitched whine. I can put on the fan or tv (any white noise) and sleep in like two seconds. Hmm... that must be why I fall asleep so easily during lectures.
  16. Solid Hearsavers, made by Ternen-Danavox are what i wear, and they were what the audiologists recommended. Below is some of the information we have on them.
    "Recommended for loud noise, Reduces sound by up to 40Db"
    "Ternen Hearsavers have been tested by National Acoustic Laboratories in accordance with the acoustic requirements of Australian Standard AS1270. All Hearsavers have an SLC rating."

"Why Ternen?
    - No occlusion effect which makes your voice sound hollow and everything else sound muffled
    - conversational sounds still audible because fidelity of original sound is preserved (follows natural frequency response of the open ear but at reduced level)

Why not disposable ear plugs?
    -occlusion effect
    -all noise reduced more than necessary, eg high frequency sounds such as speech
    - dont fit properly - difficult to insert, annoy wearer and dont provide maximum protection"

So to sum up, i still hear the sounds that i need to hear, while the dangerous sounds are reduced by 40 Db. This would mean, with most bikes at around 90-95Db (some even higher), these hearsavers reduce the levels to approx 50-55Db, similar to that of speech.

If you already have any kind of hearing loss, or tinnitus, it is recommended to wear the correct form of hearing protection, because your hearing is more sensitive to further damage.

'91 Across
  17. Tinnitus

Yep, that's me, only the CB750 and noisy nightclubs leave me with ringing ears, for about 2 hours after a 10 minute ride.

It has got to be something about a particular frequency .. because riding other bikes, such as typically loud Harley Sportsters have not done the same to me.

I am wondering if maybe I have had a latent ear infection making things worse though ... as we get a lot of these in our pool.

18. where from how much Emily - don't suppose you sell them :D
  19. The company i work for does sell them (around the $100 mark, some companies sell similar for around $200), unfortunately though, we are the government provider of subsidised hearing services, and only provide services for those who are eligible.
    (ie Pensioners, recipient of a sickness allowance, and children under 21years old. But to get the hearsavers, you need to apply for a voucher and get a hearing test first, which is a good idea if you've been riding bikes for a while anyway)

I am in the process of trying to find out what hearing service providers will do this particular product for everyone that my company doesnt help. Will post more info on that when i know it.

'91 Across