Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Helmets for a large head!?

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' at netrider.net.au started by LittleRed, Feb 11, 2015.

1. My head is huge. Well, not huge.. but big nonetheless. My current helmet is a little banged up and the chin straps are starting to fray, so it's just about time to replace. I remember when I bought it, the guy who was helping me try helmets on made a comment "Wow, I could spin that around on my head".. I've got a Rjays Dominator+ XXXL.

I've had a look a couple of times at different helmets (I've had two since I started riding) and both times I've ended up with an Rjays branded XXXL helmet. This is all because I can't seem to find another brand that fits my noggin'. I would really like to get something a little more fancy and a little higher quality.

So, does anyone know of any other brands (money isn't too much of an issue) with sizes that match or may match the Rjays XXXL size? Thanks a heap.

2. The HJC CL-Max II (and III) are available in sizes up to 5XL.

Harley do their open face up to 4XL (but you're probably looking for full face).

3.  Top
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Thanks for the replies, I don't have a tape measure but used a piece of string and a ruler, worked it out at close to 65cm. By the looks of it, I should have a fair bit of choice. May have to find some time and head down to a bike shop and try some stuff on again.. who knows, maybe I made the mistake of thinking a little bit tight was too small. We shall see, thanks for the help!

5. Most bike shops don't stock helmet sizes larger than 2XL even if the helmet is available in a larger size. You may have to ask them to get one in.

6. Head shape has a lot to do with a good fit. Best to try before you buy. Get one that is firm and comfortable but not tight all the way round not just neat fit front and back with loose sides. Head circumference is not the end of it. I have a more oval head and find a lot of helmets press too tight on my forehead even though they are the correct size.

7. Yeah, that's another issue. My chin either sticks out of the bottom a little or my nose gets in the way whilst trying to get it on. Guess I'll just need to run through every decent helmet in the store until I find one that fits. (n)(y)

8. Maybe ask Nate Myles what helmet he uses, his head is massive!

9. This would probably be your best solution.......

image.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Or Toni Carroll.....

11. See below and attached link (page 108 from memory). You need to double check that this is still the case. Make sure you read the link as I have only copied some of the information from the gazette

NSW Fat Head Exemption

NSW Government Gazette 28 September 2012

http://www.nsw.gov.au/sites/default/fil ... _v01_0.pdf

If you’ve got a big head, you still have to wear a helmet, but in NSW alone, you can now wear one that complies with the national standards of Japan, USA or Europe.

Why Snell is included is a question. It’s a private standard, subject to commercial vagaries suited to accidents under race conditions, not those normally experienced in road conditions.

In this Order:

Rider is a person who is riding, or is a passenger on, a motor bike or a bicycle, and has a head
    circumference of at least 62 centimetres, and which makes it impossible for their head to fit safely and comfortably into an approved bicycle helmet or an approved motorbike helmet as defined in the NSW

Road Rules 2008.

Exemption

Motor bike helmets

(a) Subject to the conditions in clause 7, a Rider is exempt from NSW Road Rule 270 when wearing a motor bike helmet that meets one of the following standards, or any of its subsequent editions:

“Regulation No. 22.04 – Uniform provisions concerning the approval of protective helmets
    and of their visors for drivers and passengers of motorcycles and moped”
    , published by United

Nations – Economic Commission for Europe.

“Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS), Standard No. 218; Motorcycle
    Helmets”
    , published by the Department of Transportation of the United States of America.

“2005 Standard for Protective Headgear for Use with Motorcycles and Other Motorized Vehicles”,
    published by the Snell Memorial Foundation of the United States of America.

“Japanese Industrial Standard JIS T 8133:2007 Protective helmets for motor vehicle users”,
    published by Japanese Standards Association.

-------------------------------------------------------------

The reference sizes for heads in accordance with the Australian helmet Standard (same as USA & Japan) is

size “L” = 59-60 cm

size “XL” = 61-62

size “XXL” = 63-64

size “XXXL” = 65->

12. Custom chin section for that guy! custom forehead section for Nate

13. BMW do the flip up in a 63/64 size

14. Depends what you're riding too. If you do long rides, something light weight makes a big difference. Some lids are quite noisy and you need plugs to keep your earballs in.