Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Helmets - Colours, safety and heat

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by tallstreak, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Hi all
    Im new to motorbikes and currently looking at helmets. After trying a number of them on I do fancy the HJC IS-16. it fits well and is well within my budget. So now I'm trying to pick a plain Colour - black gloss/matt or silver

My question relates to colour selection based on visibility and safety of black or silver rather than fashion or matching riding gear (bike is black as is my jacket), and the comfort factor, if there is a difference?

Sorry if this has been answered before - I tried searching but didn't find what I was after
  2. Buy what looks nice to you rather than what will be easily spottable by other people on the road.

The honus is on you to be in a position to be spotted and no bright pink helmets will help if you linger in the blind spot.

Proper roadcraft will help you get spotted, not your clothing.
  3. matt black will draw more heat
    and if you live in victoria the sky is always cloudy, so silver blends right into the back ground

HJC IS-16 Black

Advanced Polycarbonate Composite Shell (better off getting fibroglass than a ping pong ball)
    Lightweight, superior fit and comfort using advanced CAD technology.

One-touch Integrated SunShield:
    Smoke-tinted 3-stage adjustable SunShield deploys quickly and easily (patent pending).

RapidFire™ Shield Replacement System:
    Quick, secure, tool-less removal and installation.

“ACS” Advanced Channeling Ventilation System:
    Full front to back airflow flushes heat and humidity up and out.

SilverCool™ Interior:
    Removable moisture-wicking and odor-free interior with advanced silver anti-bacterial fabric. Comfortable, removable and washable.

AS1698/DOT Approved

there are better hement around in that price range
  4. name one.
    IS-16 cost 300 bucks
  5. i remember seeing a couple of studies that have gathered enough crash statistics to say that motorcyclists with white helmets are less frequently involved in crashes than those with dark coloured helmets. Although i wouldn't rely on a white helmet to protect you from harm :p
  6. Thanks all - I guess riding in Queensland in summer is bound to be disgustingly hot regardless of the helmet cover.

I did try a number of helmets including the AGV K4 and most of the HJCs the bike shop had in stock. The HJCs seemed to fit the best and the IS16 had decent features for a learning recreational rider.
  7. Trouble with wearing a white helmet, no street cred :)
  8. Now you tell me.
  9. yeah .. but your AKA "Twobikes" and one of those is a cruiser so you got cred in bundles ..
  10. didn't you copy Greybm Luke? lol
    Err, qld would get warm ish, lets hope you wont do what alot do up there, the old tshirt, shorts n thongs routine in summer. Squids is the word that comes to mind. As mentioned, YOU ensure you are visible as YOU are responsible for yourself out there.
    Oh yeah, only one head [on your shoulders] whats it worth? $100, 2, 3, 4, how much would you price yourself?
  11. my problem with the helment is not the colour its the Polycarbonate Composite Shell
    better going for a fibre glass or if you have the dollars tri comp
    something withs a fibre glass/kevlar blend
  12. try a quad composite carbon fibre thats lightweight - especially useful when it comes to QLD summertime - there are a few good ones around
  13. I couldn't agree more =D>
  14. I may be wrong, but I don't think the colour of a helmet makes much difference in terms of heat. Wouldn't the eps liner insulate your head regardless? (or at least to the same degree regardless of colour)
  15. Grab one with good ventilation as this can help prevent fogging, as does my Arai, and also allow some wind in if it's hot (or completely shut it out if cold - thank you again Arai).

Colour-wise, I've got this:

I've met a mate on the road once who said that my helmet stuck out like a sore thumb on the road (ie: it was visible).

Yeap, roadcraft is the word. But a visible helmet wouldn't hurt. The trick is to get some visible gear, but ride like you're invisible. Everywhere, all the time.
  16. it sticks out like a sore thumb to other prople on motorbikes.. when was the last time you sore a Mini..? If you look youll see them,, otherwise they just blend in
  17. That's true, but there is no negative of wearing something considered more visible than something else. I guess having a visible helmet isn't a box you need to have checked when you go out to buy a helmet (as opposed to say comfort and safety), but it's an added bonus if you can find one that ticks all your boxes, plus stands out a bit.
  18. Try on the FS15 if HJC fit your head well. If you get it without graphics you can get it the same price as the IS16's. As Takamii recommended, it has a fibreglass composite shell rather than the polycarbonate composite shell the IS has. See links below for the helmet warehouse in Sydney (you can probably get the same deals up there):

FS15 Matt Black

IS16 - White

FS15 Surge graphics

Something to think about ;)
  19. Thanks cardboardtenant. I've been looking at the SHARP rating for the IS 16, and it doesnt fare so well. The AGV K4 also fits me as well, and that scored 4 stars. I'll try the FS15 before I decide.
  20. red always does for some reason. theory being we are programmed by evolution to beware of red, says to our brain danger, poison. whether that be red berries or insects, whatever. red means don't eat it, don't **** with it.

matt black or grey definately the worst. just blends into the concrete jungle.

white has always been considered the smartest option. and no shortage of older riders around who will only buy and wear white helmets still.
    but there are a lot of flamboyant graphic designs and bright clours incl neons and oranges, yellows, light greens etc around nowadays, that i suspect catch the eye just as well as white.

that said, i wear a black one most days, because i like danger and i like a challenge haha. i enjoy it when they don't see me for some perverse reason. plus it gives me an excuse to scare them with suprise, or flip them of. most people actually do wonder where the bike is when they notice one is around. they hear me, or notice me somewhere in the vicinty, then BOO here i am and then BANG i'm past and gone.
    (my black helmet does have reflective black stickers on it for night though. can't be seen on the helmet during day because it's black reflective tape).

ride like you're invisible, yes of course. but remember, if you can't see them they can't see you. same lines of sight between both parties. some will notice you, some won't. always assume they don't, hence "invisible".
    but always try for most visible road positioning. and try to draw attention to yourself. you are like an angry little chihuaha amongst a pack of wolves. bark at them (throttle, loud can), swerve and dance around them. taunt them, whatever. but BE there.

in heavy bumper to bumper traffic, your helmet is often the only part of you visible to the majority of cages in your vicinity; as it can be seen over the roof line of most vehicles.
    ... so, in summary, eye catching helmet for the win.