Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Helmets as hand luggage

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by Jezz1199, May 18, 2016.

1. Hi All, Have an international flight to Europe coming up soon and i am lucky enough to be on a Motorcycle tour for a week. I would like to take my gear with me and want to take the helmet as hand luggage. International flights will be on Emirates and i will have a couple of domestic European flights as well. Has anyone got any recent experience taking gear with them? I really don't want to have to check my lid, but if i do i would like to have the padding ready. Cheers for any advice (i did a man's search before posting and what i found was a bit outdated)

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. I doubt they will let you take it as it could be used as a weapon offensively and also defensively. I was declined taking a lid on a domestic Qantas flight ten years ago. things may have changed since then.

3. Yeah - but now you ride a Tuono, Quntass would now be obliged to upgrade you and allow 2 lids!! :p

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. says the man with the Duke lol

• Like Like x 1
  5. Going to Europe and going on a week motorcycle tour?
    I dont care if you can't get your stoopud helmet on as stoopud hand luggage.
    Lol:hungry:!

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  6. I took my Puma track boots as hand luggage to NZ in a plastic bag for a track day, no worries. Just put it in a smallish pack bag - any questions just say it's too fragile and important to be out of your care.

7. Just wear it and walk through the gates...

On a serious note, just use the helmet carry bag and take it with you.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Common sense, that's what i'm lacking at times

9. I've always carried my bone dome as hand luggage (in a helmet bag, of course) & never had an issue: both domestic & international. Even on Ryanair!

Your biggest problem on Emirates A380 could be the overhead lockers which are a bit shallow, although business you can just have it stowed in the wardrobe anyway ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. No issues taking my helmet and jacket on Virgin however security did question my chest armour which looked like a bullet proof vest! Got offered by the flight attendant to have it stowed in a safer compartment as I walked in.
    Just make sure you have it in a bag so the visor doesn't get scratched by other bags etc and the gear is washed so it doesn't smell horrid.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Jezz1199Jezz1199 I returned last week from a trip to Europe myself and carried my helmet onto the plane on all legs without issue.

Neither airline nor security staff at any of the many checkpoints I went through even questioned it.

You won't have a problem - have a great trip!

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. I have done it. To the usa

Just tell them its in case the plane is going down

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Thanks for the feedback all - much appreciated

14. Hi Jezz ....I am in Singapore at the moment. There was a young couple on the flight over here (Qantas) carrying their lids as hand luggage and also wearing their jackets on the plane.

15. Haha Vertical C, if anyone asks just turn to them and saying your flying JetStar....bonus points if its to other passengers

• Like Like x 1