Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

helmetless rider dead brisbane

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Tomcatalex, May 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A 24-year-old man killed in a motorcycle accident at Cleveland, southeast of Brisbane, early this morning was not wearing a helmet, police say.

Police said speed was also a factor in the fatal crash in Shore St about 12:20am.

"Without a helmet, he didn't stand a chance," said an officer who attended the single-vehicle smash.

The Forensic Crash Unit is now investigating.

The man is the 20th motorcyclist to be killed on Queensland roads this year,

Do people still ride without helmets these days?
    and would he have died with a helmet anyways?

I ride without a helmet only up and down my driveway

i dont like eating bugs and getting dust blown in my eyes anyway
  2. It is a sad state of affairs. The majority try to do right and the minority stuff it all up. It's just not worth it these days to not wear your gear.
  3. It's interesting the differences in the media reporting of this:

From News.com.au
    Yet from the ABC:
  4. 1. obviously
    2. maybe, I guess it depends whether he died from head injuries or body injuries.
    3. I give this thread another 97 seconds before it's deleted for being
    a 'rider down in the news' thread which is against the rules :LOL:
  5. Yeah, I noticed that too jd. This is probably what confused me this morning when I saw it on Sunrise (they also reported the Brisbane unhelmetted rider). They said that the Brisbane rider had died due to not having a helmet on, then went on to say that a rider was crushed on the Monash, implying that both were dead (even though the Monash rider wasn't dead).

It does go to show the media focus is on speed alone. If an accident occurs with even the slightest hint of speed involved, they're all over it. If an accident occurs through total stupidity and people not looking, it barely gets a mention, if it's even reported at all. As we see in the above report on news.com.au, if the accident involves even for the potential for speed to be involved, they'll ONLY report that, and no other details.
  6. Well, I do. Occasionally and in a carefully chosen time and place.

Possibly. Even with a helmet on, it's quite possible to die from head injuries. The sad fact is, there are, and always will be, crashes which are inherently unsurvivable regardless of the gear worn.

I doubt if one incident will make much difference to motorcycling in the greater scheme of things.
  7. It's because of the weather up in QLD :p No one in Melbourne would do that!
  8. Yep, clearly a rider down thread, but I'll lock and leave for the moment with a bit of a lesson:

If you want to discuss helmetless riding, rather than the title you have given and the media/police reports then a question, try:

Title: Do people really still ride helmetless?

Content: I heard about someone dying somewhere while riding without a helmet? Do people really do that these days...blah blah blah.

Sheesh, bend/stretch the rules once and leave that lane splitting one alone, and it seems like it's fair game. It isn't!

Butz. :beer:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.