Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Helmet visor vs goggles

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by spenze, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Whats the reason you would use a helmet with a visor instead of a helmet with goggles?

I know goggles tend to be used in offroading but I don't know why.

2. Thanks for the link, but somethings not right. I have seen offroaders use full face helmets and goggles still. Which counters all of the logic in that yahoo answer.
  3. Nope, if you read the rest of his answer, it says to keep sweat out of eyes also.

4. Sometimes it's cold outside, or sometimes they just don't have an off-road helmet.
  5. Yes but goggles make you look like a dick
  6. Looks normal on a dirtbike.
  7. Try wearing a moto x helmet with peak and goggles and do some head checks on the freeway riding into a head wind or going fast.... It's LOL
  8. always keep goggles on your bike if u have a tinted visor, seen many people get caught out at night :)
  9. even better goz, take a clear visor with you :) it's what i do

have two visors with me at all times
  10. some people got nowhere to put a 2nd visor
  11. you have peripheral vision with a visor, very limmited when wearing goggles
  12. Plus rain gets in very quickly on goggles.

and the it's not the water that's the issue, it's the fact that rain turns into needles at any speed greater than 60kmh. Learned that the hard way. Top lip copped a brutality session one ride home...

13. Motorcross helmets
    are designed to meet the needs of off-road riding, where there is far more crud getting thrown around, more physical work, and mostly slower speeds.

Open-face road helmets
    provide inferior protection from both crashes and wind/bugs due to the lack of anything covering the face. There are some thins where they are useful (when you did your learners/licence course, your instructor probably used one so you could hear him properly), but mostly they're just worn for the look.

Full-faced road helmets
    are almost fully enclosed (gotta get your head in somehow ;)), which prevents wind/water entering at higher speeds and junk poking your eyes out as you bump 'n grind the ground.

Apologies if any of that isn't quite right, rather tired at the moment. Also, its a very shallow description of the differences.
  14. When i first got my Transalp i used my moto helmet and goggles. rain like needles, wind noise and the peak was like a sail pulling my head back. now i have a visor and its like heaven.
  15. Ever seen all the scratches and crud on visors? Imagine that on your face.
  16. No Way!!

17. I stand corrected.
  18. no way!

nom nom nom

19. Yes, of course. Prior to about 1970, all riders were sandblasted to the bone in seconds.

I love hearing people who've never worn one pontificating about how terrible open-face lids are.