Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Helmet sizes and the importance of a good fit

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by Maetrik, May 27, 2010.

1. Just a quick one, i don't have the smallest head in the world, i guess im pretty large in general, do they stock quiet large helmets?

I mean, i dont look like a dwarf with a forehead you could play cricket off, but i'd be an XXL in a cricket helmet from memory.

Just wondering the size ranges as ive read that a good fit is critical.

2. Definitely :)

You're funny :D ;)

There's a huge range of helmets - all brands tend to fit completely differently. Example - the AGV helmets - SMALL is too small for me. MEDIUM is too big. The Shark helmets - SMALL is perfect (tight, snug, no room for it to rock around, but not cutting off blood supply) and MEDIUM is just a little too big.

The best thing to do is to go to a place like MCA's or The Helmet Warehouse etc, try on LOTS of different helmets, from HJC's to Shoei's and find out what fits YOU best. Don't look at pricetags or worry about any of that stuff until you've found 2 or 3 that fit perfectly, and then you can worry about looks, style, features, price etc.

Hope this helps

3. Fit is the only thing that is not negotiable in helmets, try everything on until you find one that fits 100%.
  4. They prefer to be called "little people", thank you very much. [-(

& yes, you will be able to find a helmet that fits, go & try on a bunch & find the right one.
  5. I think the reference was more to the dwarves of mythology/LOTR rather than an intention to denigrate little people.
  6. Like with the red hair & Axes?

(I should have used this smilie too::-w)