Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Helmet requirement revoked in UK

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by hornet, Sep 10, 2006.

1. BIKE magazine reports this month (August, 400th issue) that the supermarket giant TESCO has reversed its requirement for motorcycle riders to remove their helmets when paying for fuel at their supermarket petrol stations......

2. Good for them :)

I knew there was a reason I ate breakfast at Tesco's on the Isle of Mann so many times (ok... it wasn't really the food). :LOL:
  3. Can't you just do the card swipe & PIN at the bowser anyway?
  4. Well I don't actually see the point of removing the helmet. I mean if they want to rob the place then go ahead, they is why they have cameras and bikes have rego plates. I guess it is a bit of a courtisy thing. But sometimes it is a bit frustrating having to remove my helmet particularly when running late for something.
  5. Very few stations still have that around here. Infact I saw one still operating for the first time in about a year the other week, Ampol on the freeway at Picton. There are still some, but definatly around my way there are none.

They all turned them off and covered them up because they rely on the instore cigarettes, chocolates and drinks to make most of their profit.

If they only sold cigarettes from a vending machine (like in pubs) and used a cash machine for all money in/out there would be nothing to steal would there :roll:
    But they come up with these helmet off requirements instead to pretend they are providing their duty of care to the employees.

I take the helmet off all the time, if they want you to its rude not to.
    But if there was a station which let me keep it on I would go there all the time for the convinence. :grin:
  6. I vote for more bowser swipe payment thingies... I've only used them at Mobile... never see them anywhere else.