Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Helmet problems: I have a huge head!

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by heffa, Nov 21, 2006.

1. My current helmet (also my first helmet) is an HJC CL-14, XL (could be an XXL, cant remember). Its pretty heavy, its noisy, and its about an inch wider than most other shells. I feel like a Jack-o-lantern monster wearing it!
    Ive tried many different helmets, and the only ones that seem to fit are a couple of the Shoei's and Arai's. As I dont fancy selling my kidney for the sake of a helmet, these are not really feasable options :?
    Can anyone reccomend some helmets for the cranially challenged?

2. I was down at my favourite suzuki dealer the other day, and they said something that interested me...im not sure if its true or not though. they said that the cheaper branded helmets only make one shell size, and pack it differently to make the different sizes...I have an MDS R series helmet (XL) at the moment, and the gy showed me..sure enough the small helmet had the same sized shell, and i couldnt get my head in it...
    i have a similar problem to you, except mines with shoes...i take a US size 14 which is really hard to find..colorado is like the only brand i can buy...and when i want new ice skates i have to get them imported from canada.

i know i havent answered your question :p but i though this was relevant and interesting.
  3. I have a pretty big noggin too, and currently have an XXL KBC that is very comfortable. For me it's length fore-and-aft that's the big dimension, and that shape helmet works right. It'll probably be a matter for you of trying on enough... and most bike shops don't have a big range of XXL lids.
  4. If you're wearing a XXL in HJC, especially the cl14, I'm sorry but you're not going to have a lot of luck finding a helmet that fits you

HJC are more generous than most manufacturers in helmet sizing
  5. If the Shoeis fit well, why not mention this to the dealer, mention that you don't want to pay that much and see if they can locate old stock or run out models, e.g. helmets with colour schemes of racers who have retired. Ask them to call the sales rep to see if they can locate these and do deals. It's worked for me in the past.
  6. Ack, mine is an HJC, not a KBC - senior moment.
  7. Ok, finally found the size tag on my HJC; its an XL.
    Thank god :grin:

I tried a few more at ringwood Peter Stevens this morning. Unfortunetly the only XXLs they had were Shoei's, which kinda defeated the purpose :?

I also tried a couple at Clipstone Yamaha, and found that the XL in RXT helmets fits ok. The only problems I have with them are they fee a bit cheap (vent openings, etc), and they feel very exposed at the back of the neck.

Gonna try the old stock trick when I head into Melbourne Peter Stevens next week. Also gonna see If I can track down an XXL in a Nolan.

Thanks guys :grin:
  8. Try a Nolan.

Regards, Andrew.
  9. Also try M2R. I've got a 901 flip-up helmet XL size, good fit and I don't have a small melon! :grin:
  10. I have the same problem too, and I find that the Shoei XXL is just the job for me. Its expensive, but worth it for fit, comfort and quality. You can pick up cheaper Shoei's and Arai's if you look around. If you are willing to wear a new Shoei without the Aussie standards sticker, you can pick one up for half price in the US.
  11. I have a HJC xl which was my first helmet and i have a melon as well. I had no choice but to go the shoei, this will be your only option as the sizing is very similar. I went through all this earlier this year. So unless you are prepared to pay for a shoei, its a HJC for you.