Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Helmet on hot exhaust?

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by offtrack, Dec 30, 2013.

1. My bike has a helmet lock, but it means the helmet rests on the exhaust.

The actual contact area is not much, but I just spent a fair bit on a new helmet, and don't want to wreck it. I wasn't so concerned about the old one.:)

I put the pillion foot peg down, which reduces the contact a bit, but I wonder if anyone has any tips?

Maybe a piece of material I can keep under the seat?

How fragile is a fiberglass helmet? Do they withstand the heat of the exhaust?

• Like Like x 1
  2. I'm assuming you have a GPX (looks like it) from your pic? I've never even tried to use it the one on my GPX. The few times I'd leave the helmet on the bike I would just lock it around the front forks with a thick cable and padlock, and let it rest on the tank. I always assumed helmet + hot exhaust was a bad idea so :/
  3. Yes, a GPX. Well spotted!;)

I'm pretty sure they measured the exact distance required, from the helmet buckle to the lock, and then subtracted 5cm!!!!:banghead: ;)
  4. When i rest my head on the hot exhaust I'm always thankfull I'm wearing a helmet.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Heat will destroy polystyrene very quickly.
  6. Buy a helmet hook. Goes on the bar end and you can use a padlock if needed. Seach helmet hook on ebay